ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Downgrade Complete (Shed content)

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
The 197 is now gone... I'd had it two and a half years and it's been the best car I've ever had, but with the finance paid and running costs crippling me I decided to let it go. I have higher priorities these days, and after several trackdays of 'SteBurns style' driving I was certain something was going to break.

I wanted to replace it with something that was still fun to drive but with lower running costs, and something that was cheap enough to put me some money in the bank. I fancied getting a DC2 but couldn't commit to an imported car, especially as a good one was worth almost as much as my 197.

I continued with the idea of going Jap, but on a tighter budget... So eventually I picked up this...

4899410496_ccb6005f41_z.jpg

4899399844_0020661419_z.png

My verdict? ...Awesome fun!

Okay so it's neither pretty or blisteringly quick but it more than makes up for that with sheer driving enjoyment, plus it genuinely is cheap to own too! :)

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  182/V6/R27/R26R
it seems to be a popular choice amongst fellow CS'ers hope you enjoy the car.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
If only these cars were better looking - everyone who drives them seems to rate them for being great fun. Even Evo reckoned that, and frequently had theirs off the floor - apparently the suspension was 'too short trave;' for Welsh roads. Yeah right - they were just caning it!

THink a Saxo Vts would still be my idea of a fun cheap shed as faster then the Suzuki and also a hilarious drive. Everynow and then I think about getting something cheaper to run.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I can almost guarantee the Suzuki would make you smile much more than a Saxo ever will, awesome wee cars and apparently the secrets out they still aren't getting any cheaper to buy! The running costs for the smiles they produce are fantastic.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Driver involvment with these is supposedly sublime.

Personally id have bought a 106 GTi or VTS but i do see the appeal

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
They grow on you!

As said, they're a proper driver's car, great feedback, and a well controlled body for such a high stance.

Cost wise....I only recently got mine below 40mpg over a whole tank but that did involve doing a day at the recent Airfield sprint.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Yeah economy is excellent, the tank barely holds £40 but that will last me well over a week where I'd be filling the 197 up after about 4 days lol

clio 200 F4Rt
what was the fear over an Imported Honda?

As parts are available from Main Dealers. Or was it more about History, Insurance etc?

Otherwise, the Ignis looks good, everyone who has one says they are alot of fun!

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Easy... Park near some bright artificial lighting, use a tripod and remote shutter to avoid camera movement. Set the shutter speed to 30 seconds then whilst the shutter is open shine a flashlight onto the bodywork of the car.

Homo spec mazda
Fair enough. I do love these things, just cant get over the image, the modified one you posted is awesome.

120d M Sport
Nice choice I think mate, something a bit different and from what I gather will be enough to satisfy your enthusiastic driving!

Will have to come and have a browse at it soon

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I promised myself that I wouldn't, but I'm constantly pricing things up! I think coilovers are on the way :)
If you dont want to spend a lot on mods, then a set of Whiteline ARBs front and rear and a strut brace makes a massive difference and should see you perfectly happy..

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Sad to hear the 197 has gone, but at least you'll be saving some £££ and like you say, you'll not be getting any nasty surpises.

320d
I've test driven one and they do just make you smile when you drive them. They're not quick but not so slow you are annoyed driving it, handing is epic on them they're so chuckable.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
what was the fear over an Imported Honda?

As parts are available from Main Dealers. Or was it more about History, Insurance etc?

Otherwise, the Ignis looks good, everyone who has one says they are alot of fun!

Yeah this basically, and the fact they're quite expensive for what they are.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Gutting.

As good as I'm sure they are to drive, I couldn't own one because of the look of the thing. The interior too.

That said, for the money, they're a bargain.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Gutting.

As good as I'm sure they are to drive, I couldn't own one because of the look of the thing. The interior too.

That said, for the money, they're a bargain.

I felt the same at first, but now I'm starting to like the 'old school' feel it has to it. It's certainly better built than the 197 and costs bugger-all to run, I'll admit it won't win any beauty contests but I'm going to see what I can do about that!

I'm in two minds at the moment as to where to go with it. My initial plan was to keep it like it is, but like many people I'm just itching to start modding it. I'm not sure whether to splash out and treat it to coilovers and fancy JDM rims or bang some mudflaps on and go for the rally look.

M16a
Rally look, seen mainly all the ignis sports jdm styled.
Hardly seen any rally look ones.
Think it will look good if you go all out on it ;)

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
Quick update...

Since buying the ugly little car that most people don't recognise I've been out and spent a few quid on it.

- H&R springs
- OMP strut brace
- Greenstuff pads
- Clear repeaters
- Philips high power bulbs
- Kenwood iPod headunit
- Tailored mats
- My priviate reg

5067942599_d53e09e8d3_z.jpg

5068544624_75bc7624f3_z.jpg

5067953700_ff9db55dfe_z.jpg

5067339447_8c83d6a6a1_z.jpg