ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Downgrading From Windows Vista To XP Pro

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If Acer's website shows the Aspire 9300 as having Windows 7 driver support - then I'd strongly suggest going for that. Although Windows 7 isn't as clear-cut as a Mac in order to reinstall its OS, Windows 7 is still straight forward. Much more so than XP, imo.

Don't forget, XP was released in 2001. In PC terms, that's like digging up a fossil. Vista was utter dog-turd (almost as bad as that thing called Windows Millenium) - but give MSoft their due - they sorted out a lot of things with 7.

D.

Just checked and they don't go up to windows 7, I've had enough of vista. I'll only use the laptop for PS, Explorer, and iTunes tbh so it should be fine, I use the iPad 99% of times anyway.

Last edited:
Is it worth me just buying a 200 pound second hand laptop ? I've never had any problems with my laptop on the 'mechanical' side of things from having it new 3-4 years ago.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Just checked and they don't go up to windows 7, I've had enough of vista. I'll only use the laptop for PS, Explorer, and iTunes tbh so it should be fine, I use the iPad 99% of times anyway.

Go here http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_9300.html#top and download ALL of the Windows XP drivers (for your model of machine) and if you can, look on the drivers on the computer currently as hopefully Vista will tell you what the devices actually are (so you know what make/model the component parts are) and put them (the XP Drivers) on a USB pen drive or HDD (other than the one you'll be installing the OS on).

Then once the install has been completed, run the drivers one by one and you should have all your components done piece for piece.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
ive just had my old latop repaired, was running vista, my friend said that vista was to much for the laptop so he put xp on, and now its so fast i mite just keep it for a dedicated p**n laptop.

I still need to do this, might just take it to my laptop man. It's not like I use my laptop all the time anyway so it doesn't bother me having XP.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
quite often vista drivers will work on windows 7, you may have to trick them into thinking your running vista, Xp is ok but if your doing it for compatibility reasons get windows 7 pro as you can run xp programs in a xp virtual machine type environment

The only reason I ever turn my laptop on is for iTunes or PS, XP is like a 1/4 of the price of 7 isn't it ?

Another reason I don't want Vista is because I can't get my wifi to connect.

F82 M4
There's been problems installing XP on Laptops that came with Vista. It brings up an error saying about a missing file. I think the only way around it is to have a floppy drive.