ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Draft from driver footwell

clio 182
Hey ppl

On my way home from work today i notice that there was a cold draft from what seems to be from up behind the dash driver side,faster i went the colder it got lol,put my hand up as far as i could and is def from up under dash,just wondering if anyone has had this problem and could help

Thanks ppl

clio 182
Thanks for reply,where are the exits to do you know? and there is a plastic tube type thing just up under dash is that one of the hoses? if was to do with the vents from heaters am i right in thinkin air would come out warm as i have heater on warm and draft is cold? sorry if asking stuped questions lol

clio 182
not speaker as draft to far up dash for that,and yep sure aint heater,i have not got a clue tbh lol,all i know is there is a problem lol,got to be a hole there i would of thought,just finding it lol

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I've had this and had a thread about it some time ago. Mine looked like it had a infill plate missing from up behind the dash, didn't half give a draft when it was cold outside.

clio 182
Thanks for reply ohara,do you know where about the plate is and what does it look like?sounds like you had same problem.faster i went more i could feel it lol

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
On mine if you looked under the dash on the drivers side there was an open slot about 2 inch by 4 inch. I presumed that it should have had a cover if some kind (I never got round to fixing it). I first noticed it on mine when I drove to Newquay, I set off at midnight and was wearing shorts and flip flops. My toes had frost bite by the time in got there.

I think to confirm it should have a cover you'd have to look at another Clio, like I said at the time did put a thread on here about it but didn't get much response.

3 Series xdrive
It will be your air re-circulation flap thats stuck open......

Firstly try swicthing your air re-circ button with the heaters on full blast, if you dont hear/feel any difference in air flow then the flap is stuck open

It can be accessed from 2 places, either by removing the driver side scuttle panel then the other little panel that is just clipped on under that you will see a piece of black plastic (It about 8 inches long if that) just slide it up/down (it kinda rotates right round) job done.

It can also be located from the drivers footwell area, on the right hand side just stick your head under and then stick your hands up into the gap, have a fiddle around and u will find it no probs. Yopu will be able to move it to open or closed, just have a play around until you know which way is open and which way is closed. Make sure the blowers are swicthed off when your fiddling about with it though ;-)

Note: Everytime you turn the blowers on and off this will close/open the flap(so even if you dont use the re-circ button the flap is still being opened/closed everytime your swicth the blowers on/off) however mine was sticking half way so i just leave my blowers on all the time so it does not try and open/close the flap. When i get round to it i will have a look at a perm fix for it

Last edited:
  clio 182
Thanks again for replys ppl

Daz i found the flat thing you said about,and had a little play and seems ok

am i right in thinking the air that i can feel will be warm? as i always got the heaters on and always warm air

and when i drive faster can feel the cold air more,i really have no clue now lol

Thanks again m8

3 Series xdrive
Are your windows steaming up??

The problem I had was the flap was stuck half way, not fully open and not fully closed, this was causing the windows to steam up all the time.

Check when you press the recirc button on that the flap turns fully and not sticking half way, you can fo this by the feel of each side of the flap, one side is smooth and kind of rounded where the other side has plastic grid like squares, the press the button again and it should return back.

clio 182
No windows are not steaming up wot so ever

Nothing really that you would notice is different well apart from of course the new air con i seem to have lol

Rang renault today to see if it was a common fault but bloke said never heard of it and earlyest slot to book it in was never lol,and dont really fancey giving them 45quid jus to tell me what problem could be lol