ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Draining tank?

172 Cup, 1.2 Grande
I have a mk2 clio 1.2. It's done 135k and was a work horse but the clutch has given up and considering it's only worth a couple hundred quid I'm going to let it go to the scrap heap. Now I have around half a tank of fuel in it (£30 roughly) and want to get it out.

Anybody know the easiest way to get it out?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Get a fuel syphon and drain it from the top of the tank where the fuel pump is,
if you look under the rear seats you'll see a round rubber thing,
lift that up to get at the fuel filter, they're normally held in with a round metal bayonet ring,
get a flathead screwdriver and a hammer and knock it anticlockwise to unlock it,
then you get at the fuel pump and slide the syphon down the side and pump the fuel out.

can you not just put some hose piping in the filler cap and try drain as much out that way, although as above removing the seats sounds like a good idea! probably easier too, infact why not just take the tank, it can probably be sold to someone who needs it lol

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
By far and away the easiest way is to pop the fuel line off the rail in the engine bay and put it into whatever you're using to collect the fuel.
Then strip back the fuel pump wiring underneath the rear seat and apply 12v to it. The black is the earth and the other thick wire is the feed so apply the positive to that. No mess, no fuel taste, no damage. It's how I've done it for years now

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
can you not just put some hose piping in the filler cap and try drain as much out that way, although as above removing the seats sounds like a good idea! probably easier too, infact why not just take the tank, it can probably be sold to someone who needs it lol

Top knowledge there,
the filler neck is designed to make syphoning the fuel impossible
and the rear seat bases are just slotted in and lift out so easily a one armed child could do it. lol

Last edited:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Taking the tank out involves removing the axle. Which is not fun. There is also pretty much no value to them as they are so plentiful.

clio 182 black /gold
I did my brother,s Nova years ago. I undid a pipe off the fuel pump and put it in to a collecting receptacle and started the engine. I am not sure where the fuel pump is on a Clio.

172 Cup, 1.2 Grande
Thanks for responses. Taking tank off or drilling into it is a no go as clutch has a little life left in it so gonna try my best to get it to scrap yard so need it still functioning to get there. It's only around 15 miles away so should get there ok as not got any towns to go through etc