ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dreamweaver gurus

Right something very simple probably for you dreamweaver peeps.

Im having a mess around just desiging some websites just out of boredom just teaching myself new stuff. Ive have designed this so far:

http://www.aoqo38.dsl.pipex.com/webby/ (jus uploaded temp onto my freespace)

As you can see it loads in the top left corner... I want it to load in the center of the users browser (even users with diff resolutions). I also want a darker green background around it.

So ideally I want the website to stay and be displayed in the middle of the page .

Please help :)

bah! im a newbie to CSS... just having a quick read up now

would I put this in the header:

<style type="text/css">
#body {
margin-left:auto;
margin-right:auto;
}
</style>

That'd work yes, or you can link to it from an external .css file. The external file is preferable as then you can change properties for the whole site in one fell swoop.

Bah! dont know what im doing wrong... I put the above straight into the header section of the html for the webpage but still appears in top left :(

Still dont work.. it must be me being a complete noob. Im new to this CSS stuff.. im just reading through a dreamweaver bible, so ill try and read up and use the code you gave me. Cheers for the help though :)

Right... still no luck.. ive opened notepad and copied the above code you gave me. Saved that file as "style.css"... then in dreamweaver clicked add style sheet from external location, pointed dreamweaver to the file. It then automatically added this html into my main website code:

<link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

But still doesnt work :S

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
I think if you're using IE you'll need to add a DTD for that to work, add this as the first thing in your page:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

You need a width for the body or it assumes 100% which means it can't centre it. 760px is a good safe width (will work for people on 800x600 and those with large monitors who have the browser window set around that size):

body {margin:auto; width:760px;}

You can do the margin in one go rather than individual declarations. Top and bottom margins won't be added.