ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

****Drilled Air Box****

i wanna drill my air box, well until i get an IK

Its a 98 clio 1.6 rsi 16v where do i actually drill, i tried lookin at the air box buts its one solid block and ppe all together so i dunno wot to do, any help asap would be recomended

H22A7 Accord Type R

good man! just make sure u do a side which has some cooler air to it.........and drill about 5 1/2 inch holes..........sounded the mutts on my mates 206, :D but then he spoiled it and bought an induction kit :(

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

You need to drill holes outside where the filter is otherwise the air being drawn in is gonna be unfiltered! There must be some way to get into the airbox to check this, arent there clips around the airbox? TBH, is it really worth the hassle? Wait till youve got a IK.

H22A7 Accord Type R

side closest to the panel id say...........a few holes is all ya need really

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Thats odd, there must be some way to get in it, needs the filter changing on services dont it!

Bad idea mate (with the greatest respect).

The whole idea of an airbox is that it is a sealed air induction system that provides consistent performance (usually by keeping the air temperature within a certain parameter).

If you drill the airbox, it will remove the aforementioned benefits and may reduce the performance of your car in a number of situations, especially if the effect is to give the throttle body unfiltered air.

Most Mk1 16v/Williams drivers are well aware that using an induction kit makes for a reduction in performance because of the hot air that gets sucked in - and I doubt its much different on a Mk2 1.6.

By all means use an IK, but youll soon want to keep the old airbox handy for the summer months and for town driving. So dont drill the airbox! It isnt a free and easy power improver!

H22A7 Accord Type R

...........i must admit ive got my cold air head on and have taken my 1.2 16v modified airbox off and got the standard one back on with my panel filter :oops:

out of curiosity does anyone do an aftermarket panel filter for the 1.2 16v, I hate IKs so wont ever fit one again! (long and very expensive story)

The panel filter on a 1.6 is not inside that big sealed box its at the back of the engine where the air box/ducting joins the engine.

Its an odd shape as well, like an out of shape rectangle with a sloping side. Youll need to undo the two torx bolts to get at it.

Hope this helps.

stu