ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drilling into filter

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
I here alot about ppl drilling into the filter i think. Just wondering people views on it. I want the car to sound nice well abit louder but dont wanna pay more insurance for induction kit.
Pro's and con's of drilling pls guys. :D ;)

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
You do it on the cold side i have seen well heard it done to other cars and it sounds nice just dont wanna go drilling into my friekin engine. M mate has mk1 clio and his dad wrks for porsche they do this in porsches instead of induction kits they drill them an charge a grand.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Wel i dont no that much what am talking about but i assume so. I will probs just ask my mates dad cos if you drill in wrong place it just sucks in dirty air an screws it up but if it works on porsches an my mates clio i shud thnk its sound.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
well thats wat i was thinkin but dont wanna make insurance go up am only 18 so is a killer anyway and its mostly sound i am lookin for only have 1.2 so will take more than filter to make it any good on speed haha :eek: cheers.

Golf MK2 GTD
Paul J said:
On the cold side? so after the intercooler you mean?

:S drill yhe pipe after ith intercooler? would cause the boost to disapear, might as well remove the turbo all together

My on the cold side means to reduce the hot/warm underbonnet air from reaching the filter and being drean into the engine, thats the whole point of intercoolers dropping the charge temp, but you can overcool aparently:S

My mates mk1 1.8 16v has been drilled along the front of the airbox using a 10mm drill bit, when I "drill" airboxes I use a large hole saw and a hacksaw blade and use that alloy repair mesh to prevent leaves and other crap being sucked into the airbox.

airbox1.jpg

airbox2.jpg

airbox3.jpg

airbox4.jpg

airbox5.jpg

airbox6.jpg

airbox7.jpg

airbox8.jpg

One I made earlier, ok not a Renault airbox but you get the idea, I then fitted a K&N panel filter

Mr2 Roadster
LMAO...

Only ever drill before the filtered part of the intake. If you drill after you will get crap in your engine.

If mess was a good enough filter, Renault woul have used it... But it's not so they didn't. It's sand particles that are the problem as they are very fine yet still hard and don't break down with heat. Sand will ruin your pistons and bores.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
GTD, i was being sarcastic lol, after the cooler on a 1.2 clio! Someone's read that about dump valves on Turbo engines i reckon.

You cant over cool, an intercooler can only achieve close to ambient at best!

iPap, the above is a VW airbox and is indeed before the filter, so the mesh is no problem.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
JEFF4507 said:
Dad's mate drills holes is Porsches ?? Who is the clown ??
Does that mean its acceptable? Thats just like saying my dad drilled a hole in his Zonda,who's the clown? Just because its a porsche doesn't make it right does it?

Clio 172 mk2
I'd say it was a waste of time

If your after noise and am not bothered about performance your best off fitting an IK

16v Phase 1
Drilling holes in a Porsche airbox...yep, i'm sure Porsche spends millions of pounds on development, eeking out every last little horse available...and muppet with a 10mm drill can release so so much more... lol.