ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drive belt issue 1999 Clio

1999 Renault Clio
Hello all,

New to the forum so be gentle.

I have a 1999 Renault Clio (1.6 Petrol with A/C) - this morning I noticed the battery light and stop light came on, so I investigated the battery and seems OK with engine off and holding charge (around 12.4v), but voltage drops to 11.50v with engine running with lights.

I thought my alternator was goosed until I noticed that the drive belt was really floppy. I was even able to remove the belt by just wiggling it out!

The belt itself looks OK and when you run the car, the pulleys don't make any unusual noises, so I'm not too sure why the belt has become so floppy (faulty tensioner?)

I'm not that familiar with alternators and pulleys as I've not really had this problem before - I don't actually know if I have an automatic tensioner or a manual one...

Please look at the image - Where there is a thread hole, I'm not sure if that's where the tensioner bolt should be (if it's somehow come off)

Thank you

Attachments

• 20180617_135257.jpg
    20180617_135257.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 84
  1999 Renault Clio
I've had another look - I have an automatic tensioner.

The belt has come off the tensioner pulley (should slip under it not over it) so I loosened the Torx bolt holding the pulley, pushed it up, put the belt on, pushed the pulley as far down as I could and tightened it up. As soon as I start the engine, the belt comes loose again.

The belt itself looks OK (but one crack on one of the grooves) but as per the above picture, isn't there supposed to be a long bolt in that thread? Like here :

Skip to 21 seconds, there's a long bolt there but I don't have that?