ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drive shaft. one piece?

Black 172 MK2
went to have some new tyres put on today and found one of my drive shafts gators has split and theres oil all over the inside of wheel. any who is the drive shaft one piece ie do i need to replace the whole thing and how much am i looking at ?

brad

Black 172 MK2
thats what i was asking, so it is pos to replace just the gator and im guessing its an easy fix?

Lionel Richie
easy as in removing the DS from the car, taking it fully apart, replacing the gaitor and reassembling the DS??? erm yeah

(hence why garages just swap the shaft!)

Lionel Richie
yeah as it envolves less effort for them

you can get glue together gaitors which you don't have to remove the shaft from the car to fit, but they're crap (they'll want to fit one of these too)

its really common for the gaitors to slip off, get it repaired/fixed properly

Black 172 MK2
ok so you say get the whole thing replaced and im looking in the region of £150? how far should i be driving with it like this tho, it likes quite recent tbh as the oil is still fresh on the wheel. Also what may of courced this has it just got old or have i done somthing?

Lionel Richie
no they just pop off when on full lock (renault use s**t clips to hold them on)

just clean as much grease off as possible, as its probably all over your brake caliper/disc etc

it'll be ok to drive, but get it seen to

(£150 + labour to change it, i'm guessing its passenger side?)

Black 172 MK2
no its driver side. im ment to be going to blackburn way for some training for my new job next week and money is tight grrr it always seems to happen when you dont have the money lol

Black 172 MK2
dont know if im guna get time thats the prob. its all on site at some hotel complex thingy. i should get the details through in a couple of days so il have a look and see.

Black 172 MK2
well there we go my first quote by my local garage who i always go to £150 + VAT etc cheers for the help fred.

tiTTy & SV650
as opposed to a shitty glue together effort... get the biggest universal one you can find, put it in boiling water to make it more pliable and stretchy and maneouvre it over the hub etc?

my local garage used to always do that for my 205gti. much cheaper and lasted