ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft/CV joint woes..

For the past few days I've heard a feint clicking/knocking noise coming from just in front of my feet when I accelerate and corner. Reading threads on here, I'd put it down to a worn driveshaft - however, I've just taken both front wheels off and there is very little movement in both front shafts (1cm at a guess) and the wheels aren't moving in and out when I do.The only thing I've noticed is the inner CV joint on the drivers side has grease all over the shaft behind it but I can't see where its coming from- could this be a cause? I assume it probably is.I've come across numerous methods of changing the shafts, with the drivers side seemingly apparently being the easier of the two to change - so am at a bit of a loss how to tackle it...

Don't know why that looks like a long incoherent paragraph, I did space it out.

Anyway, just put the wheels back on so I could move the car back on the drive, and it felt like I was driving over something on the passenger side. It definitely didn't do that before.

Superb...

GSXR + KDX220
1cm of play if you pull the shaft effectively in and out? Thats alot when its still in situ.

If grease has gone everywhere then chances are the rubber boot has a split in it somewhere, and if the joint inside has run dry for a long period, it'll more than likely be shot.

Also, the wheels wont move in and out if the inner joint is knackered. Drivers side is easier to change simply due to not having to drain the gearbox oil out :)

Go and find some space, put the steering on full lock left and pull away accelerating a little, and do the same with full right lock on. It usually shows up more of a loud click if the outer joint is knackered, but Im sure it'll highlight the inner one too.

Thought as much, cheers. It may not be as much as 1cm to be honest, it just didn't feel like a lot of play at all on the shaft really.

Ok then, where's the best place to source one, is it (drivers side) essentially just a bolt out and bolt on job?

I assume the wierd feeling as if I'd driven over something would suggest the nearside shaft is shot too?

I want to try and do as much (hopefully all) of it myself if possible.

GSXR + KDX220
Easiest & cheapest way is to get a used one in known good condition, with no split boots or play. Plenty of people breaking 1*2's on here. Not 100% if cups are slightly longer, have a quick search :)

Not sure, it could be a number of things making it sound like that, perhaps a ball joint. Does it do it when going straight over rough ground too?

Changing drivers side isnt too bad, just need to undo the large hub nut in the centre of the wheel/hub, and split the ball joints and strut away from the hub and pull it away from the shaft. The shaft pretty much pulls off of the gearbox end, but it may be a little tight and need a helping hand with a lever or something.