ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft fitting, cheapest place?

Clio 172 Mk2
Hey all. Just bought a new drivers side driveshaft (well a refurb). Can anyone recommend the cheapest place near crewe in cheshire to get it fitted? Or does anyone fancy doing it for me? :). What price do you reckon i'll be looking at, is it a couple of hours work?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
DIY if you have the tools, it is not difficult.

Trick to keeping these cars on the road is not having to keep pay for labour I reckon now they are old and not worth a lot.

172 cup, Impreza P1
You would need a torque wrench capable of 280Nm though which most wont have. Not too much in it and as Chip says, DIY is the way to go.

Clio 172 Mk2
i may just have to suck up to dad again. I don't know why i keep posting these threads actually, my dad is a mechanic and probably has the biggest home tool collection in the country. He most certainly has a wrench capable of 280Nm, its bloody massive!! I just hate asking to do stuff for me because i know he hates having to :/

You have a perfect opportunity to learn, instead of asking him to do it for you ask him to show/teach you.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds like the ideal father/son thing to be doing, even these days (im knocking 40) my old man still gets involved when im working on cars, although often its now me leading and him helping out rather than the other way around as he doesnt know much about modern cars (which to him a 172 still is one)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, get your old man to show you the ropes and you'll never look back. driver side shaft is literally a half hour job max is the hub nut plays ball and bugger torque wrench for a hub nut, just do it up as tight as mighty mouse would ;)

Clio 172 Mk2
cheer guys! the driveshaft was actually changed about 5 months ago with a second hand one that has now gone wrong so everything should come away pretty freely (dad always uses copper grease). The ball joint was replaced last week as well. God if anything else goes wrong this year i'm getting rid for sure