ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft issue - Please help

LWR

Renault Clio 172
Been trying to remove the right side driveshaft from my 172, and im at the stage of literally pulling the shaft from the gearbox. Problems are that it doesn't seem to be as easy a job as i had researched. I understand that the shaft runs through a bracket which houses the bearing, so does this area require any attention?

Also, the reason i'm removing the driveshaft is to replace the inner cv boot. The boot has split due to a common problem where it catches on the sump (nice design). When i researched this, i found that some members are saying that the inner cv joint is a non serviceable component. Is this true?

Thanks Guys, any help appreciated :)

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
The bracket is held on with 3 bolts and easy to remove. sometimes the bearing on the shaft becomes seized in the bracket, so may be easier to remove the bracket with the shaft.

As for the Inner CV boot its not a non servicable part as the shaft can be refurbed, not sure a boot is available for it as a kit though without resorting to using a generic kit

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Have you drained the gearbox oil as well?

No need to drain the gearbox when removing the drivers side shaft, i made the assumption it was this side he was doing due to the mention of the bracket and also the rubbing on the sump issue

LWR

Renault Clio 172
Thanks for the reply guys....i did try and remove the bracket but the shaft seems to be in the way of one of the bolts :/ may need to double check again.....but yh didnt need to drain it because its drivers side....can a new boot not just simply replace the old one?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Remove the 3 bolts for the bracket, a flexiheaded ratchet spanner sometimes helps. Getting the shaft off the box is the trickier bit. You will need to persuade it a bit with a hammer.