ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft Lengths Ph1 vs Ph2

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Does anyone know the actual driveshaft measurements for the Ph1 and the Ph2's?
I think at some point my Ph1 has had a Ph2 N/S Driveshaft fitted and now with the new Gripper Diff fitted it's too long.
(Just locks the CV's up it's that tight)
Could just do with some measurements to confirm.

Cheers Rich

Last edited:

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Cant remember the measurements but the Ph1 short shaft was about 20mm shorter than the P2

Ye 20mm is going to make quite a difference, I need to find out the sizes to be sure.
Can you still buy Ph1 shafts new?

Rich

Ye 20mm is going to make quite a difference, I need to find out the sizes to be sure.
Can you still buy Ph1 shafts new?

Rich

Renault do still list the Ph1 reconditioned shafts, however they are not overly keen on selling them at the moment as they have a note on their system about possible vibrations caused from the recon units for the Ph1.

I have had exactly the same issue on my ph1 in the past with a gripper diff, the Ph2 short shaft will lock up.

I was told the referb ph1 shafts are no longer available.

I spoke to Renault a few weeks ago and they said they have stock in France but there is a note on the system that they may cause vibration and should not be sold.

However they would sell if I insisted :smile:

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
We we've managed to over come this rather pain in arse problem my increasing the track and with an added bonus of now being able to run 4 degrees of Neg if should so wish.

Rich

182cup & 172 racecar
I spoke to Renault a few weeks ago and they said they have stock in France but there is a note on the system that they may cause vibration and should not be sold.

However they would sell if I insisted :smile:
James, when I enquired into all this, I think it was only the ph2 shafts that were giving trouble, and it was the support bearing on the off side that was the problem.

James, when I enquired into all this, I think it was only the ph2 shafts that were giving trouble, and it was the support bearing on the off side that was the problem.

I spoke to Renault Wolverhampton last month as I needed a short shaft for my ph1.

I was told it was definitely the Ph1 short shaft that was giving trouble. Doesn't mean to say other shafts weren't also giving trouble.

They would still get one in for me if I wanted but they couldn't take it back.

Clio 182
Got a gripper diff box to go in mine next week, was hoping I wouldn't have the driveshaft issues I've read about.....was told they'd redesigned the diff to stop the shaft bottoming out issue? Mine's a 182 so don't know if that makes a difference!?

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
How much is it to change an old style over to a new style Mark?
It's just the plates that get changed right? Makes it quieter too?

Rich