ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

driveshaft replacement

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
right, having to replace my left hand driveshaft (the longer one), on my 1.2 (D7f), and just wondered if it was particularly difficult? had the hub, etc off before, just more worried about how to remove it from the gearbox - and is gearbox oil a problem on this side?

Just making sure i'm ready to change it before i order one, the wheel on that side is practically welded on (sticky caliper i think), so hoping everything else goes to plan! lol

I take it your on about the passengers side on?
If so then its a bit of a problem you have to drain the gearbox oil then remove wheel and the center wheel nut (30mm). Undo the hub via the bottom ball joints and the two top bolts holding the strut on. If you want to make it easier then you have undo the stearing arm and remove the whole hub (taking care of the brake lines) and remove the driveshaft from the box there only 3 bolts holding it in. then do it all back up making sure you do all the bolts up.
If your doing the drivers side then thats easier as you don't need to drain the gearbox there just a drivshaft pin (some models didn't have one though) knock that out with a screwdriver and when you take the hub off that ill just slide out. Make sure when you replace if that if it has a pin don't hammer the pin in turn the shaft rounf 180 degrees and it will fit as the holes on hem arn't perfectly they'll only go on one way round.
The center wheel nut should be replaced ever time but I've had no tropuble not doing just some locking thread compound on it.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
sorry, i meant o/s driveshaft.

cheers for the info, you've put my mind at rest if it'll just slide off.

As i said, had hubs off completely before, was just concerned about the gearbox side of things.

Next problem will be getting the wheel off :(

Getting the wheel off get a mallet and keep hitting it and turning it round.

Filling the gearbox with oil can be difficult you end up makign a tool out of a bottle and running some pipe off the bottom so that you can thread it down the front of the engien as the refill point is on the front of the box between the radiator and engine so you need a pipe to pour the fluid in. You know when its filled as the fluid starts to come out. I'd change the oil whicts I was at it the performace stuff like royal purple the best but £50 or so Miller 75/90 is what i use and its better and £40 ro so from Demoan Tweeks. If you stick the oil stuff back in try and filter it. Its not much for new stuff though. You need about 3.5 liters though to refill it.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
yeah! cheers!

wouldnt have minded draining the gearbox oil and refilling either, done that before aswell. Currently running silkolene 75w90.