ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshafts

Inferno 182 & Saxo
You would have to be very bad at repairing cars to damage these whilst replacing a drive shaft.
Good chance the shaft is faulty, I would order another and send the wobbler back.

I did clamp the hub/carrier in a vice, put a punch in the round indent in end of the shaft to drift it free of the hub as it was rather seized in this as it'd never been out in 14 years and 68000 miles. It did come out with some hammer action.
I did test the hub after this for any play or movement by hand and it spun freely without any hideous noises so i figured it was good to go again. Not sure I can handle much more of J&R customer services :'(

PH2 172
Its a large lump off lead with a rubber inner sleeve to hold it in place.
ds2-jpg.921383

Oops, I have always assumed it was a big oily lump of rubber that they usually look like.

PH2 172
I did clamp the hub/carrier in a vice, put a punch in the round indent in end of the shaft to drift it free of the hub as it was rather seized in this as it'd never been out in 14 years and 68000 miles. It did come out with some hammer action.
I did test the hub after this for any play or movement by hand and it spun freely without any hideous noises so i figured it was good to go again. Not sure I can handle much more of J&R customer services :'(
You what?
You only needed to unbolt the bottom balljoint from the wishbone.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
You what?
You only needed to unbolt the bottom balljoint from the wishbone.

If you can get the shaft out the of bearing and hub though then it should be free to pull off. Mine wasn’t, splines had a tight grip on each other from years of corrosion and road filth. Hence the persuasion with hammer, drift and some plus gas but it did come free

Basically what this guy had on page 1 but mine did come out

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/making-the-sun-shine-again-ph1-sunflower-updated.679812/

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Change the disc, no change to the vibration. I think it’s the shaft now. Reading online reviews literally almost all the problems people state are due to vibration after fitting j&r shafts.
I think I’ll try and renew the cv on the old shaft, I found an an old saxo Vts driveshaft with a plastic boot in my shed and the boot is a perfect fit for the nearside outer on the so if I can get a new cv I can reassemble the old shaft but we will see how I fare there - it’s ridiculous how no one makes a cv joint for these shafts.
Still going to try and see what j and r will do about it mind you

RB 182 FF
This is why I bit the bullet and bought the ktec renault shafts... I've learnt my lesson many times on the 182 buying inferior parts. Buy cheap buy twice is certainly ringing true with the experiences I've had...

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I think I’ve managed to source a good second hand cup shaft if so that doesn’t cure it the guy has a good cup hub I can try too.
Looking at that balancing donut the outer is definitely metal of some sort so I don’t fancy cutting it to fit

PH2 172
i had one in the other week with one on, sits too far off the bearing and the abs ring doesn't line up with the sensor.

What was that on?
One thing that I have never read is why the 60mm spaced cup hubs require a 15mm wide ABS ring, though apparently having the same shaft otherwise?

PH2 172
Probably should have done that to be fair

There would seem to be a conspiracy to withhold facts regarding these shafts.
They are constructed from manufactured parts, not something organic that grew on a tree.

This eBay listing is very specific with regards to 2.0L sport fitment.
As I said, nobody has offered a satisfactory explanation of why the 182 Cup has 15mm ABS rings, but it would appear that a system that functions with 7.5mm rings, will also operate with 15mm items.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-CV...h=item5d7bbf7820:g:QRIAAOSwg3taqPey#vi-ilComp

If the application is incorrect, then it can be returned.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
If I’d have known they were available there I’d have tried one.
Thanks for the info, hopefully someone will try one and find it works

dan's cast offs.
Don't even go down the route of trying to replace just the outer joint, there are at least four different joints used and there is no listing for what different ones were used on what car or year.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
People on bookface are saying that an skf cv should fit? Though the cv alone seems to retail at 80-100 quid I find.
I can search oh the part number unless it’s on of you lot that posted it.
Anyway oem used driveshaft fitted and guess what, no more wobbling! Going to ring j and r tomorrow or see what they will offer me

Inferno 182 & Saxo
35 quid delivered from a guy breaking a cup so not too bad. The j&r shaft was clearly miles out, the standard shaft when in the box and connected up turns smoothly and the spring doesn’t compress.
Lesson learned for me

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Looks like i'm in for a lot of trouble here getting this shaft refunded, had a snotty email back from them saying it must be the "stub" shaft being worn on the car as it couldnt possibly be their "cnc machined" chinese driveshafts could it. What stub shaft? Its the passenger side!

Inferno 182 & Saxo
vkja5380 is apparently the part number for the SKF CV joint that fit these shafts, I saw it posted on facebook and thought i'd copy it to here so it doesnt get lost

dan's cast offs.
vkja5380 is apparently the part number for the SKF CV joint that fit these shafts, I saw it posted on facebook and thought i'd copy it to here so it doesnt get lost

that's possibly one of the four different ones used.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Had some spare time today so I stripped down the old Renault oem shaft and j&r shaft along with removing the outer cv joints from both as I wanted to see if anything was interchangeable and if I could perhaps make a hybrid of the two if possible. However that plan was a no go as the j&r cv joint doesn’t fit the splines on the Renault shaft, in fact the size of the j&r cv joint internal cup is a good bit smaller than the renault oem offering.
I have to say as well before removal the j&r cv joint felt quite graunchy and crunchy in its movement - it’s only had 30 miles on it at the very most whereas the oem one with 70k+ miles on it felt smooth and compliant.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Sounds about right, J&R sell some right shite. One of the most bent aftermarket firms going.
Wouldn't touch with someone else's bargepole.
I'm surprised they haven't killed anyone yet with their attempts at refurbed calipers.