ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

driving in the dark..

ok stupid q but I dont really drive in the dark but have to now ..do you turn the first light know (on the outside) twice and the inner once? ..twice is way too bright right? ...like I said stupid q but had to ask.

Beetle
lol, what?:S you kiddin?:clown: when its droppin dark turn the lights on one notch, when dark, 2nd notch, on a road in the dark with no other cars pull the stalk towards you and a blue symbol should illuminate on the instrument panel (only do this when its pitch black)
don't have your interior light on whilst driving:nono:

I think "know" should say "knob"... it's kind of makes sense then :)

You should have the first one (outer one) turned twice and thats it.

If its foggy you might want to turn the inner one once (puts on front fogs) and if it's really really foggy, then twice (puts on rear fogs).

Oh, and so long as there is noone coming the other way, pull it towards you to turn on full beam - but don't forget to turn it off if someone comes or you'll blind them.

Thats what I usually do anyway.

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine
turn the outside of the left stalk twice for headlights. Pull the stalk back towards you for full beam (too bright if you have oncoming traffic) The inner one is for your foglights (which you won't be using in the dark will you).

Turn it onto dipped beam? Not sidelights or mainbeam, or fogs. The images on the stalk let you know what setting you're on. Plus if ya can't see sh*t, ya prolly on sidelights. If ya can see stuff for miles and everyone's flashing their lights at you or crashing coz they can't see anythin as you're blinding them, you're on mainbeam.

RenaultSport clio 182
Rick said:
The inner one is for your foglights (which you won't be using in the dark will you).
that's def :nono: in my reckoning, especially knobs who drive with only side lights on and front foggies.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Well... i get in my parents ford focus and for about 5 mins even i cant use the headlights! hehe

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
and never use your foglights when its not foggy!!! i have driven today and seen way too many people with their foglights on, and i cant even flash them anymore cus this clio keeps the main beam on constantly when the lights are on, so you cant flash.

and i dont like the way you have to have the front fogs on to have the rears on, thats another kettle of fish though

Last edited by a moderator:
i meant to say only dont use your foglights when its not foggy, how come we cant edit on this forum?

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
hehe, nah... I ask my fair share of stupid questions... and I'd rather u ask than blind me!

-Akira

Last edited by a moderator:
polarbert said:
i have driven today and seen way too many people with their foglights on, and i cant even flash them anymore cus this clio keeps the main beam on constantly when the lights are on, so you cant flash.

If you switch the headlights on manually you can flash away as much as you like, its only when they are auto-on that it leaves them on full beam when you pull the stick back for a second.

I've given up flashing annoying fog-light users, mostly mothers in people carriers that seem to do it these days, so frustrating! They don't seem to realise that it does actually dazzle other road users.

RenaultSport clio 182
ukaskew said:
I've given up flashing annoying fog-light users, mostly mothers in people carriers that seem to do it these days, so frustrating! They don't seem to realise that it does actually dazzle other road users.
I don't find fronts dazzle that much but putting the rears on when you've got a t**t with them on behind does ;)

Some cars do look good with 4 lights lit up on the front of the car, but it's no reason to use them when it's a clear day/night. Don't know why they do it, is it just to show off that they've not got the cheapest model of the make of car that's out? "Oooh look at me, I spent an extra £1000 than you and I've got fogs!!"

Monaro VXR
Shouldnt you know how to turn lights on. What do you do when its raining? Or did you not realise your supposed to put your sidelights on when it rains as well?

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
If this person's never done it before, why should they know?

Same with everything else in the world, if you don't know something - you have to ask!

Monaro VXR
Rip3z said:
If this person's never done it before, why should they know?

Same with everything else in the world, if you don't know something - you have to ask!

Its common bleeding sense. Theres pictures on the stalk theres pictures on the dash and well you turn the thing till you can see in the dark!

Joolz said:
I don't find fronts dazzle that much but putting the rears on when you've got a tw*t with them on behind does ;)

thats what i used to do in my other car, but i feel slightly wrong doing it now, as i would have to have my front fog lights on to do that

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
I remember when I first passed my test last year and had to drive in the dark for the first time I was crapin myself. Although I must admit it is a bit bad that he doesn't know how to switch the lights on. Hasn't he got the Manual?. Thats how I found out most things about the car...

Mini Cooper S sport
Scott-16v! said:
when its droppin dark turn the lights on one notch, when dark, 2nd notch

As far as I know, it's illegal to drive with just sidelights on, even though SO many people do it.

It should be main (dipped) beam or nothing. When it's raining heavily, or in any situation where visibility is reduced, you should have your main beam on, not sidelights.

As for the foglights thing, that's actually the 'I'm an asshole' switch when it's not foggy.

Think you can drive in a 30 zone with sidelights on. Any speed limit that's higher than 30, you have to have the dipped beam on with bad visibility/nights

Mini Cooper S sport
Nightfire said:
Think you can drive in a 30 zone with sidelights on. Any speed limit that's higher than 30, you have to have the dipped beam on with bad visibility/nights

Really?? Thought it was just restricted roads. I'm sure you can't be allowed to drive along a main road with just sidelights on, even if the speed limit's 30.

Chocolate Bar™
sidelights are 'parking lights' pretty certain its illegal to drive anywhere with em on, dont see the point in driving with em on anyway, just put your dip beam on

RenaultSport clio 182
polarbert said:
thats what i used to do in my other car, but i feel slightly wrong doing it now, as i would have to have my front fog lights on to do that
Yep seems like Renault are promoting the use of the front foggies, I guess it's a selling point for some.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Middo said:
sidelights are 'parking lights' pretty certain its illegal to drive anywhere with em on, dont see the point in driving with em on anyway, just put your dip beam on

Doubt that, look at Volvos, you cant switch sidelights off!

Mr2 Roadster
EvilJohn said:
Doubt that, look at Volvos, you cant switch sidelights off!

They are called driving lights on Volvos.

In some European countries it is the law that you drive with your sidelights on whenever you drive even if it's bright sunlight.

Personally I have my sidelights on during the day, in fact whenever I drive.

I only put dipped on when I'm in an unlit area, there is no real need around lit towns as it only causes light pollution.

Not a Clio
The highway code on lighting: http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/08.htm

Quote:

93: You MUST

• use headlights at night, except on restricted roads (those with street lights not more than 185 metres (600 feet) apart and which are generally subject to a speed limit of 30 mph)
  • use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 201).
  • ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit at night.
    [size=-1]Laws RVLR regs 24 & 25 & RV(R&L)R reg 19[/size]
94: You MUST NOT

• use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users
  • use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users.
    [size=-1]Law RVLR reg 27[/size]
95: You should also

• use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
  • keep your headlights dipped when overtaking until you are level with the other vehicle and then change to main beam if necessary, unless this would dazzle oncoming traffic
  • slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights.
96: Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights whilst driving unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.
[size=-1]Law RVLR reg 27[/size]

Clio 182
it's harder to judge the speed of an oncoming vehicle if they have their lights on,
as iPap said, round the town, where there's plenty of streetlight you don't need to light your path,
so putting sidelights on rather than dipped beam makes a lot of sense.
then, so does indicating correctly, but most people can't be bothered to do that either.
imagine how much quicker we'd all get places if everyone indicated.

as far as the law goes the Peugeot etc excuse of "driving lights" doesn't cut it,
whether they're "fog" or "driving" if the visibility is above 100 metres,
and personally I can only remember once in the last five years I've seen it below that,
it is illegal to have them on.
one part of the legal definition actually simply relates to them dazzling other drivers,
(Simon posted it while I was typing this :approve: )
they don't look cool, they just piss everyone else off, so turn them off !!

And... as I've started ranting...
even if it is foggy, they don't actually help you see any better,
they're there so other roads users can see you,
so if you're in traffic and you can see the car behind you / in front,
then they can see you, so you don't need the fog light on... duh!

the other thing that annoys me, which is also a road traffic offence,
is temporarily parked cars on the wrong side of the road with their dipped beam on.
how selfish can people get !?!
if you really have to stop on the wrong side of the road have the common sense to turn your lights off so oncoming traffic can see where they're going.

Last edited:
I thought the idea of front fogs was that they shine _down_ onto the road, unlike dipped headlights / main beam which shine forward into the fog, and just reflect back, meaning you get blinded by your own lights. So maybe, when it is foggy you should have side lights and front fogs on, but not dipped / main beam. ??

Mini Cooper S sport
Middo said:

Amen!!

iPap said:
Personally I have my sidelights on during the day, in fact whenever I drive.

I only put dipped on when I'm in an unlit area, there is no real need around lit towns as it only causes light pollution.

can i ask why you always drive with your sidelights on during the day?

i hope you dont drive around a city at night with just your sidelights on

iPap must be a biker, or used to be one, by having the lights on during the day.

Can't remember where I read it about the sidelights being legal to drive in a well lit 30 area, like a town centre. Was a forum full of coppers though as they said my lighting was illegal, still said it after I posted the legislation to them. TBH, they're prolly just traffic wardens with their heads up their asses, but it's what I read LOL

I had a nice little chat with a policeman after getting pulled for just my sidelights on in a 40 zone LoL

He confirmed that you can use just sidelights in a 30 zone at night, but higher limits require you to use dipped beam.

His argument though was if there's drunk people staggering about, they'd know you were a car with dipped beam on in a 30 rather than puzzling over fainter sidelights. I prefer sidelights though - I can see thanks to the streetlights and can be seen with just the sidelights on, so why blind everyone with dipped beam? Is it easier to see around and past a light if it's a 5watt bulb shining in your eyes in the dark or a 55watt bulb? I wonder...
As my dad points out, year ago most people used to use just sidelights in town. It's only since the morons have started driving that they feel that they have to be lit up like a bloody christmas tree to see or be seen.

Liquid yellow R26 F1
Personally i don't bother with dipped.. (1st notch) LOLLLLLLLL.... i go straight to main.. as i think dipped is pointless..