ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drums to disks + ABS the final answer

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
Ok, sometime this week I will be replacing my 1.4 beam, with one from a 172.

I know that the biggest problem will be with the ABS.

I've done some reading on how abs works.

It works along the lines that a magnetic sensor picks up the teeth on the ABS ring which changes the magnetic field of the sensor, creating a single direction current. One for the teeth and an opposite for the space between the teeth.

So an alternating current pattern or voltage signal is created relative to wheel speed.

I know that drum abs rings are different from disk abs rings, however for the system to work correctly they would both need to create the same voltage signals relative to wheel speed.

So as has been stated in other threads, all the 4 abs rings will be the same and I am using the 172 abs sensors with a 1.4 abs pump.

Anyway to conclude I will post my findings as to this conversion working or not.

Chelsea tractor
You'll need the ABS rings off the old megane 1.6+ wont you? As the 172 ones have a different number of teeth.

As long as you have the same number of teeth on all four rings, the same as the unit originally worked off, then yes its the sensors you have to match up.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
As long as you have the same number of teeth on all four rings, the same as the unit originally worked off, then yes its the sensors you have to match up.

How would you go about doing that as the drum ABS sensors are completely different from the disk sensors as drum ABS rings are different to disk rings.
However both would need to create the same voltage relative to wheel speed, so I cant see how it makes any diffrence

?????????????????????????

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Cant you just change all 4 rings so their the same therfore each sensor will work correctly as they all match?

Chelsea tractor
How would you go about doing that as the drum ABS sensors are completely different from the disk sensors as drum ABS rings are different to disk rings.
However both would need to create the same voltage relative to wheel speed, so I cant see how it makes any diffrence

?????????????????????????
He means the ABS unit.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
You'll need the ABS rings off the old megane 1.6+ wont you? As the 172 ones have a different number of teeth.

I have the right abs rings got them off ebay

I will see if it works, and post some pic's up and give a final answer to this question

Right, I'll tell you how I did it.

Old beam with drums, came off,

Sport beam with disks went on. Luckily I had the same tooth count as the sports on the front so didn't have to change rings. I had 44 teeth all round.

Then using some logic found the correct rear disk sensors that would work with the unit, bolted them on and away I went.

You have to use disk rear sensors, the old drum ones won't fit for starters and work of a differnt voltage induction set up.

There are two different types of rear disk sensors for sports, I have the part no. somewhere. thats what i was refering two when i said sensor matching.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
yes I see.

Well I have the rear disk abs sensors from a ph1 172.

What sensors did you get or were they the same as a 172 sensor.

Chelsea tractor
The front ones would need to match the rear though. Do you have 172 brakes up front if it's a 2l?

Right, I too got hold of a ph1 rear beam, but had to change sensors.

Assuming your using a ph1 abs unit, then I would hedge a bet that they will probably work.

Simple way of finding out, Take say a passenger side sensor, disconnect your current drum sensor fron the car where they plug into the main loom, by where the flexi brake pipes for the rear beam are, and see it they match. If they are both the same for the same side of the car, I.e. both female for the passenger side sensors, or both male. then they should work. If they don't, you need different sensors.

If you followed what i just wrote, well done, sounds like a bad explaination. feel free to pm me if you need help.

edit: Assuming your putting 26 tooth ring on the back aswell then?

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
I had a look, couldnt tell from what side each was coming from.
Its f**king freezin out side so I'll have to check again.

If the sensors plug into each other which they do but dont match side wize il just swap them round, simpl's !!!

Thank you muchly for the help fearless

^ er if they don't match side to side, they won't work. I suffered that issue. they have to match the loom on the car, or the abs unit will get confused.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
OK I changed my drums to disks this afternoon and can confirm that it is possible and that the ABS still works correctly!!!!!

You need to make sure all the abs rings match and thats about it.

So Yes you can swap drums for disks no problem.

P.S I will be putting up a guide in a few days so that every one knows how to do it as there were a few snags and head scratching moments!!!!

Lots of Alfas
Youve succeeded where others have failed, I can remember when giles on here (what ever happened to him??) Tried the conversion and couldnt get it to work because his abs system was detecting the wrong amount of teeth.

how did the sensors match up? assume it was a straight forward for you then. Give me a shout when you do the guide as i've found all the part no's i used.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
I wanted the sport beam as well. It has made a big difference to stopping distance about 20-30 feet from 60mph also the first time ever I have had the abs kick in on the back wheels in an emergency stop. (That distance was with chalk and eyes but it was alot better)