ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DTM @ Brands Hatch & Nurburgring 24hr

Oil Burner
This weekend was quite unfortunate in many respects. My favourite event of the year has always been DTM at Brands Hatch. It is awesome! Great cars on a great circuit. However with the financial woes of the Nurburgring, i swore to myself that this year i would shoot the Nurburgring 24hr incase it never happens again.

Now as tends to be the way with these things - these events fell on the same weekend. So the simple solution - do both of them!

Initial plans were to shoot DTM Saturday and Sunday, leaving after the race and driving to try and make the Nurburgring for about 24.00 (7 hours after the race start). However with the eurotunnel checkin times, this wouldn't of worked. So i decided to shoot DTM on Saturday and then drive to the Nurburgring on Sunday for the race in the afternoon.

And here's a few images from this adventure.

If you'd like to read about it a bit more in depth you can here in my blog : http://nickdunganphotography.co.uk/?p=163
Writing isn't my strong point, so i apologise if it reads like a 4 year old wrote it!

C&C encouraged - positive or negative!

I will kick off with some DTM...

1. Some very tall Germans

DTM_BRANDS-HATCH_2013-0316-L.jpg

2. German Pitlane fun!

DTM_BRANDS-HATCH_2013-0450-L.jpg

3. A DTM car goes down a pit lane

DTM_BRANDS-HATCH_2013-0402-L.jpg

4. Marmite? or the less marmite version here: http://dunganick.smugmug.com/MOTORS...-5jKtLJb/0/L/DTM_BRANDS-HATCH_2013-6905-L.jpg

DTM_BRANDS-HATCH_2013-6642-L.jpg

5. Through some trees.

DTM_BRANDS-HATCH_2013-0819-L.jpg

6. I was pleased to have found a somewhat unique angle with this shot. But have seen i was pipped to the post by NFI

DTM_BRANDS-HATCH_2013-0959-L.jpg

Onto Nurburgring:

7. The stands were packed...

NURBURGRING_24HR-7543-2-L.jpg

8. So much so, i couldn't even see the track through the crowd!

NURBURGRING_24HR-7565-2-L.jpg

9. So i tried shooting through some trees

NURBURGRING_24HR-8209-2-L.jpg

10. I tried shooting over the hedge

NURBURGRING_24HR-1632-L.jpg

11. I tried shooting around some trees

NURBURGRING_24HR-8820-L.jpg

12. Then over a pit lane

NURBURGRING_24HR-1536-L.jpg

13. Eventually i settled for shooting cars in the more boring trackside fashion...

NURBURGRING_24HR-8570-L.jpg

NURBURGRING_24HR-8383-L.jpg

NURBURGRING_24HR-7776-L.jpg

NURBURGRING_24HR-1738-L.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Nice set Nick!! The marmite one or the Pitlane is awesome! What speed are you panning at achieve that ?

I love 10, seen a similar sort thing from Le Mans before, the contrast between the race track and the road is great.

I also really like 16, as much as I appreciate your success/skill with slow panning I think you have a real eye for tighter faster shots in terms of framing, composition etc.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I normally like your work, but if you want honest feedback, my personal opinion is that this set are a little try hard. A little too much blur as said above, even the main focus on the cars isn't sharp this time, and that's on small images etc.

​i know you're an excellent photographer, but these just don't work for me sorry.

Oil Burner
DTM is a brilliant race series. A few english guys in it

It's a brilliant series in terms of the guys racing, cars circuits. But i would say the racing itself is pretty dull. Particularly at Brands Hatch Indy. I still love it though!

Nice set Nick!! The marmite one or the Pitlane is awesome! What speed are you panning at achieve that ?

Cheers Matt. That shot is 1/10th. Very much dumb luck.

Awesome as per, Nick. 9 & 11 are my favourites from the set :)

Thanks mate!

I love 10, seen a similar sort thing from Le Mans before, the contrast between the race track and the road is great.

I also really like 16, as much as I appreciate your success/skill with slow panning I think you have a real eye for tighter faster shots in terms of framing, composition etc.

Cheers Chris!

I see you got at least one shot with the siggy 10mm ha

haha yes mate. Such a niche lens. But so cool when you find a use for it! Thanks for the loan!

Far too much 'blur' effect imo.

Thanks Jack, these shots are a selection of images i'm interested in getting feedback on. I shoot quite alot of more boring stuff as well. But anyone can do that - so i don't see much point in posting it up here. I'm not looking for an ego boost, i'm trying to get a feel for how new styles of images are accepted by consumers. And in some cases just sharing moments i think might interest others. But thanks for the feedback :)

I normally like your work, but if you want honest feedback, my personal opinion is that this set are a little try hard. A little too much blur as said above, even the main focus on the cars isn't sharp this time, and that's on small images etc.

​i know you're an excellent photographer, but these just don't work for me sorry.

To end on a positive though, I really like number 8 :)

Cheers DK, The feedback is appreciated. I certainly went a bit crazy on the slow stuff this weekend, but if you're not doing new things and upsetting some expectations then you're stagnating and not moving forward. So in that respect i'm glad i shot some stuff you don't like ;)

Maybe a few of these are more to your taste?

DTM_BRANDS-HATCH_2013-1243-L.jpg

DTM_BRANDS-HATCH_2013-0493-L.jpg

NURBURGRING_24HR-1415-L.jpg

NURBURGRING_24HR-1680-L.jpg

NURBURGRING_24HR-1802-L.jpg

NURBURGRING_24HR-8162-2-L.jpg

NURBURGRING_24HR-8528-L.jpg

NURBURGRING_24HR-8707-L.jpg

NURBURGRING_24HR-8681-2-L.jpg

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Nothing can be more dull than F1 :-D

Great pics.

They lap the indy in about 40 secs. Shame the F1 was shut but get to see everything on the indy

dk

911 GTS Cab
love that second set!

and agree with trying new things, and i like blurred, but as long as the subject (or at least part of it) is nice and crisp :)

Cupra
I like the fact that they are different from the standard photos you see from motorsport. Looks like a great event.

Oil Burner
Nothing can be more dull than F1 :-D

Great pics.

They lap the indy in about 40 secs. Shame the F1 was shut but get to see everything on the indy

You mean GP? We've asked the drivers on a few occasion if they would prefer the GP and apparently that would be even more dull than the Indy as the fairly highspeed corners on it doesnt generate much overtaking in such quick cars and they dont slipstream well (so they said).

love that second set!

and agree with trying new things, and i like blurred, but as long as the subject (or at least part of it) is nice and crisp :)

Cheers DK. All of that first batch will have sharp parts. It's just how small that part is ;)

I like the fact that they are different from the standard photos you see from motorsport. Looks like a great event.

Thanks Mate, different is what i'm going for. I try not to imitate, thats boring.

Nice detail caught in shot 18 for the right (and the wrong:eek:) reasons!

haha, thought that image might be well recieved...

Some brilliant shots! 21 looks awesome.

Cheers!

Some really great shots there.

Such a shame that the Nurburg 24 was affected but such awful weather this year

It was a shame, but thats motor racing i guess! I'm not sure if the fans would normally have stayed later into the race or not. Hopefully i will find out next year!

Merc A class
Awesome as always and very creative much prerfer this work than all the other togs shoot!

Last edited:

I have to be honest and mirror this, exactly.

My favourite was 21. :)