ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DTWD’s Guide To A Faster RT

Ok over the last few weeks I have been playing about doing different things to see what makes my car slower or faster. I have found the following things.

1) Switch off all the powered stuff (odviosly not your lights, if you need them on, have them on. But if you dont, switch em off) The stereo (with sub and amp and speakers etc) seems to sap the power. It might just be the fact I can hear the engine and the road noise and it apears faster because of that. But I am sure it hurts your acceleration and causes your car to rev higher at a fixed speed than if your not running anything. If you think about it, it makes sense. Your engine, when powering electrical items, is working like a generator, the more power you want the more the engine has to work to give it to you.

2) Put on a jumper and switch the heater to the blue part and not the red part. Even if you dont have the fans on it seems to make the car slower. Dont know why though, it cant take that much power.

3) Optimax. I have been using this for the last few weeks and although its not made my car any faster its made it smoother and run a lot better.

4) Dry run. This is the one that I have noticed the best gain from. Go out for a nice econimical drive for 20 mins and bring the car back. Now anytime you run the car that day it seems to be so much more lively. Even if you havent run it in hours its still better.

5) A nice warm day. Just like what we are having now, it seems to be a lot livlier. Probably nothing but the better mood the sun puts me in, but it feels better.

With all these in conjunction I have been having a much happier driving experience lately. They wont give you much more power, but it makes it a lot more enjoyable experience. Besides when you beet a Nova now you can tell the driver its because you switched off your heater and not any fantastic mods that made him loose. That should rial him/her a bit.

Paul

Its just things I noticed thats all. May work for you, may not.

I just wish I found a switch that turned my RT into a valver.:(

Paul

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

erm leave the fan on hot and have the fan in 0 possistion as if u have it on cold the engine has to work to make cold air if it on hot its just using the heat from the engine so u arnt making ne stress on it.

MalicE

try taking the back seats and the spare wheel out and have 1/4 tank of fuel, turn off all electrics not needed, warm it up for 20 mins and go for a thrash on a cold, crisp morning. This should make you feel a difference. P.S you could also try an octane booster. Better still buy a valver/willy/172/cup !

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Id have thought having the heaters on hot would draw hot air out the engine, especially good if youve got a induction kit relying on cold air!

But the rest sounds good, all makes sense, not just for RTs but for vavlers as well.

Another tip though, spend 3 hours cleaning it and then drive it, mine feels faster but I know it isnt! Why is this!!!!

Quote: Originally posted by DTWD on 18 March 2003

5) A nice warm day. Just like what we are having now, it seems to be a lot livlier. Probably nothing but the better mood the sun puts me in, but it feels better.
My valver always seemed that bit quicker when its really cold, when the air temp is about freezing.

The cooler, denser air going into the engine making that bit of extra power.

Well thats my theory anyway.

Tom

Ideally you need to be going fast so the cold air is being pushed into the engine bay.

Who needs speed, im perfectly happy cruising around in this wonderful weather!

-Rob

Quote: Originally posted by Tom_16v on 19 March 2003

Quote: Originally posted by DTWD on 18 March 2003

My valver always seemed that bit quicker when its really cold, when the air temp is about freezing.

The cooler, denser air going into the engine making that bit of extra power.

Well thats my theory anyway.

Tom
my gtturbo used to go like a missile on a cold dry spring morning, when it was a hot sunny day felt alot more sluggish

Yeah, I meant to write sunny day. Cos its sunny, but not too hot. Thats what I meant to say. But it was late and I had been at work all day.

But yeah your right, the colder/denser the air the better. Not like it makes much of a difference on the RT.

As for the heater, I am pretty sure its actually nothing to do with a heater or colder at all. As far as I know when its on hot it gets drawn in off the engine (which brings the engine temp down) but on some cars they have heaters. And that takes power. But when you select cold air I think it just draws it straight in from outside.

Paul

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

I agree DTWD, if you drive down the motorway with heaters off but the temp select on red you can feel hot air being blown in the cabin, if you turn the temp to cold then it blows cold air in from outside, if that makes any sense!