ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dunlop Sport Maxx

Hi all,

I hit a pothole recently and it put a huge bulge in one of my previous tyres (had Kumho Solus KH16 all round). As I was getting closer to the legal tread limit on those tyres anyway I decided to swap them all for a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx (205 45 16).

Now I know the Kumho Solus KH16 is by no means one of the best tyres around anyway - especially ones that are getting low on tread but the difference between these and the new Dunlops is staggering!

The differences I've noticed are:
Better traction
Better braking
Better ride quality
Better dry and wet weather performance
Better Aquaplaning
More responsive steering
less TC intervention
less road noise

As the roads have been a bit icier and greasier lately it's nice to have some more confidence with the car. i.e There were a few occasions I needed to give the car a dab of oppo with the old Kumhos but haven't needed to at all with the Dunlops.

So, I am a happy customer and thought I'd share my experiences on here in case anyone else is considering tyre choices at the moment.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Got them on the vee as couldn't get michelins athe the time.Great tyre no issues

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
I had these on the r32, why i though were goodyear lol

Not as good at the ps4 but still ok
at the time the sizes I couldn't get and ps4s weren't available unfortunately.Next set will be ps4s all round ad ps3s on the cup were brilliant

I've also heard Michelin Pilot Sports are great on the 172/182 (after all they were the original tyres it came with I think) but I could not find PS4's available for it, only PS3's? Not only that, they were £25 extra per tyre :-0 so the Dunlops were a no brainer for me.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I couldn't get the pilot sport 4s or super sports in my size the other day so opted for the sport maxx RT2s and they're infinitely better than the pirellis I had on before!

Had these on the front of my 182 when i bought it in 2010 going around roundabouts in the wet meant serious under steer, ruined the hole car.

Yeah, mine was always doing that so it lost my confidence in its grip. I've had Kumho on other cars before but they weren't too bad. I think the KH16 isn't as good as their other tyres though, particularly in the wet, or with a car like the 182. They'd probably be fine on something low powered like a Ford Ka

PH2 172
I've also heard Michelin Pilot Sports are great on the 172/182 (after all they were the original tyres it came with I think) but I could not find PS4's available for it, only PS3's? Not only that, they were £25 extra per tyre :-0 so the Dunlops were a no brainer for me.
Well done in choosing the Dunlops and not following the herd.
I rotated my RS3`s front to back over the weekend in an attempt to extract 10K miles from the set,but if you can get a mileage improvement with the Dunlops,which would seem to offer a similar level of grip,let everyone know in 12 months time.
Your right the PS3`s are good as I have used them,but don`t justify their price.