ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dusting off the camera (sort of) - Cup content!

I'm a 'Professional' photographer (aka photography pays my bills) and I used to be mega into shooting cars but it's been about 12 months since I've got stuck in and took any car photos.

Real life took over and I shoot other stuff to make a living but just had an urge after cleaning the cup today so took some photos!
Anyone else on here a light painter?

15775118_10154806132329188_6238726105498356779_o.jpg

15724792_10154806132729188_7582385923436304170_o.jpg

15732272_10154806132719188_7048435899431953078_o.jpg

Not great quality, got to love compression (these are linked from facebook for ease)!

Last edited:
I'll stop being lazy and upload them to flickr, there's not a huge difference but just less compression in shadows and a bit more sharpness :smile:

Glad people like em! Takes a bit of time to create one image
31548408190_3026cf461f_h.jpg
Clio Interior by Matt Smith, on Flickr
31548403180_b91f4805ce_h.jpg
Clio172Cup by Matt Smith, on Flickr
31548399270_9f80070a9f_h.jpg
Clio 172 Cup by Matt Smith, on Flickr

Canary172

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
These look excellent! The seats, steering wheel and shifter combination look ideal too.

These look excellent! The seats, steering wheel and shifter combination look ideal too.
Cheers! It's a bloody lovely setup, I'm quite short so the dished wheel feels great. Recommend these seats to anyone, they're fantastic and the shifter totally transforms the car IMO.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
@matt123roll what frames are the seats on?
Do they slide etc?
Really need to order me some but is ever so confusing as to what i need.
Also, what are you using and what is it fixed to for the seatbelt buckle? Im wanting to run the seatbelts the same as you.

@matt123roll what frames are the seats on?
Do they slide etc?
Really need to order me some but is ever so confusing as to what i need.
Also, what are you using and what is it fixed to for the seatbelt buckle? Im wanting to run the seatbelts the same as you.

I'm on the xlow ones Jon sells. With the sliders that come with the seats.
I bought them from a guy on here who made a seatbelt buckle on some harness webbing (with a harness clip on one end) and then have an eyelet and spreader plate holding the subframe into the rear bolt hole.

One of my old cars

Looks well
Shame about the bloody problems I've had! Hopefully be sorted soon

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I'm on the xlow ones Jon sells. With the sliders that come with the seats.
I bought them from a guy on here who made a seatbelt buckle on some harness webbing (with a harness clip on one end) and then have an eyelet and spreader plate holding the subframe into the rear bolt hole.

Shame about the bloody problems I've had! Hopefully be sorted soon

Just read your othwr post on the thread about fitting seats, cheers.

Any chance you can grab a pic of the seatbelt area so i can get an idea?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Are these edited in photoshop? Just getting into photography and im fairly handy with photoshop but not sure where to start to improve pictures. These are amazing.

Brilliant, both the pics and car.
Thanks mate

Excellent photos mate, does the shifter rattle at at?
Cheers, it has the usual 3k rpm rattle but with some music on I never notice it or I just rest my hand on it.

Just read your othwr post on the thread about fitting seats, cheers.

Any chance you can grab a pic of the seatbelt area so i can get an idea?
I'll do it when I'm next in the car and throw it in that thread (y)

Are these edited in photoshop? Just getting into photography and im fairly handy with photoshop but not sure where to start to improve pictures. These are amazing.

They are edited yeah but only really stacked in photoshop with a bit of cloning, most of it is done in lightroom but the lightpainting is done straight out of camera and the final shot is usually 3/4 exposures blended together :)

Lightroom is a lot better for photo editing than Photoshop is.

Lightroom is far better for actual editing but I use both on a daily basis for different tasks. People have a tendency to go crazy in LR when they start out because oooooo... sliders haha

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
When you say it takes a lot of time to make one image, do you have multiple images with different settings and then layer them or one RAW image and you manually duplicate and adjust it?

When you say it takes a lot of time to make one image, do you have multiple images with different settings and then layer them or one RAW image and you manually duplicate and adjust it?
It's mutiple images blended into one. So taking the good bits from each one and blending them to make one evenly lit image :)

On a very basic level, here are 4 frames of what made up one of the shots. The final image is more like 8 - 10 combined but hopefully gives you an idea. It's a basic technique that yields great results with practice once you know where to point the light.

31817828561_543be0dfdb_z.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 08.46.05 by Matt Smith, on Flickr
31561396970_4ebf823efc_z.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 08.45.46 by Matt Smith, on Flickr
31817832531_1e569416f8_z.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 08.45.35 by Matt Smith, on Flickr
31125225603_82fa7c1c66_z.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 08.45.23 by Matt Smith, on Flickr

Hi Matt.

Car/pics look great. I briefly spoke to you on FB last night about how you did this. Interesting way of doing it. Did you do the interior the same way as the layers above?

@matt123roll

Ah! Yeah all shots are multiple shots. Interior has the most believe it or not. It's a good way to stop it looking flat.

It's light from behind the camera, with drivers door open and then behind the seats then combined to make a good shot!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Nice shot!

I need to get into layering my work as tend to try and fit all my lighting work into one exposure and it never really works

Nice shot!

I need to get into layering my work as tend to try and fit all my lighting work into one exposure and it never really works

Too much effort to do single exposures, always end up with light trails and odd areas. Prefer to do a base exposure with no lights, then one of the entire car, then a few for wheels, grills, interior etc and then just blend in PS. Can pick and choose where the light is much more

Skoda Fabia VRS
I really need to give light painting a go, I just know it'll be incredibly awkward the first time (like something else...)

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Whey! Loads of nice stuff there I dumped mine in the corner haha.
If it's any consolation, mine didn't even make it. Sodding ring connector on the alternator live wire snapped the night before and Halfords only opened at 10am so I couldn't fix it before the day started haha.

If it's any consolation, mine didn't even make it. Sodding ring connector on the alternator live wire snapped the night before and Halfords only opened at 10am so I couldn't fix it before the day started haha.

Ah that sucks! Efi is literally a mile from me so thought I'd show my face for a good cause.

Someone I know bought your old car, raves about it! Love the new photos and old ones.
Only just seen this - nearly a year late oops! The cup?
I bloody loved that thing I'd buy it back in a hearbeat, it's changed hands since I think. Lad called Amin was who I sold it to but he didn't keep it long.

Have been busy with the camera and my mates mk4:

25005756447_204814f56d_h.jpg