ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DVD copying

trying to copy a DVD but its copyright protected

im a total new to this and have never copied a DVD before.

its an 8gb dual layer dvd and want to fit it onto 1 dvd-r

ive got nero, DVDdecrypter, DVD shrink

cany anyone give me a quick guide? do i need to copy it to my hard drive as an iso file using dvddecrypter?

Cupra
go to doom9.org. They have all the info that you could want,

The way I normally do it is with DVD decrypter then a Nero recode to fit it all on one DVD. You can also use a program such as DVD x copy which does it all with one click.

think ive sussed it

save dit with dvd decrypter, then opened it with dvd shrink and it shrinks it down to one disc size, then pressed backup and its now 'encoding' it.?

Clio 172 Mk2
GuyS said:
think ive sussed it

save dit with dvd decrypter, then opened it with dvd shrink and it shrinks it down to one disc size, then pressed backup and its now 'encoding' it.?

Yep... your pretty much there mate. You will need Nero installed if you want Shrink to burn it onto a blank disc.

Personally, I get better results using DVD Decrypter (to remove copyright protection) then `encode` it in Nero Recode 2 (Part of Nero 6). Much quicker than using Shrink.

BTW, shouldnt DVD Shrink be able to decrypt AND encode in one go?

dvdshrink said ''encryption protected'' or something when i tried first, but once dvddecrypter was used it didnt

i have nero installed; nero express 6, nero backitup, etc

worked fine, works on DVD players spot on :) qualitys good too

i'll stick to using these methods then, takes a while though..

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The best program out there is clonedvd2 .It rips it to your hard drive and burns it all in one . You have the option of leaving in r taking out full menus , trailers , subtitles , 5.1 , stereo 2 channel .5 clicks is all it takes.

The second best is dvd shrink , which is readily available as a free program .

Also look for dvd region free . This makes your dvd rom / writer drive region free . After using a dvd on your pc , after 5 times its locked to that region , so you can't play a dvd from another region on your pc without it. Anydvd is another program that does this .I use em both.

If a dvd is only 4.7gb you only need nero , as the dvd can be copied direct.You can check this on the box it will say on the box dvd format "5"

If its a dvd 9 , then its dual layer and can be anything up to 9.5gb and needs shrinking down as you rip it before you can burn it .

You will need enough space on your hard drive to fit a full dvd on cos it needs to rip it to a temp file first .

Also the speed of your processor and how much memory you have installed will make a big difference as to how long it will take to rip and burn .

MrBillyUK !

informative post there mrbilly, thanks!

is that clonedvd2 free? would you say its better to get that and remove dvddecrypter and dvdshrink?

as for space, got 80gig free :D

what discs are best or does it not make a difference?? i used a dvd-r today and that works fine in my dvd player, but ive ordered some dvd+r's off the web (my RW drive does both)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
GuyS said:
informative post there mrbilly, thanks!

is that clonedvd2 free? would you say its better to get that and remove dvddecrypter and dvdshrink?

as for space, got 80gig free :D

what discs are best or does it not make a difference?? i used a dvd-r today and that works fine in my dvd player, but ive ordered some dvd+r's off the web (my RW drive does both)

I've used clonedvd2 for the past couple of years , never had a problem and lets say i've burned well over a 1000 dvd's ;) ;)
I always use good quality dvd-r's , with the ritek go5 dye , they are a darker purple than some of the cheaper dyes .
Dvd shrinks good , but you need something like nero installed to burn after you rip .
Personally i stick with the dvd-r's .
I don't really want to say to much as to where you get the programs from cos last i mentioned anything like that i got my wrists slapped .
If you want to give me your e mail addy i'll send ya all the info you want .

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
hitharder said:
the most user friendly and voted the best is one click dvd copy. it is soooo easy

Who voted it the best ??

Can't get any easier or more user friendly than 5 clicks of your mouse can ya ??

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Roy Munson said:
The best way to unlock your drive is by flashing the firmware. DVDRegionFree is good though (and safer)

Thats new one on me Roy !

I've flashed alot of drives in my time but it doesn't unlock the drive !!!
It will still lock to region of the 5th dvd that you play whatever firmware you have . You need region free dvd or anydvd to unlock it .

MrBillyUK !

Clio 182
you can unlock drives by changing the firmware i did it on my Sony one. Cant remember the site but there is one out there that will tell you if you can unlock it and how to do it.

MRBILLYUK said:
Thats new one on me Roy !

I've flashed alot of drives in my time but it doesn't unlock the drive !!!
It will still lock to region of the 5th dvd that you play whatever firmware you have . You need region free dvd or anydvd to unlock it .

MrBillyUK !

No you dont. I've made many a drive mutli-region by flashing it. You are wrong.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Roy Munson said:
No you dont. I've made many a drive mutli-region by flashing it. You are wrong.
Don't think so mate !
I just closed down anydvd and put in Greendays dvd which is region , 2,3,4,5 and 6 and it asked me to choose my region , which i did . Now the drive has only 4 times remaining to choose my region before it locks .
Thats on a brand new lite-on dvd drive and also on my pioneer 110 dvd writer both of which have the latest firmware .So maybe it does on some , like woodentop says on his sony drive but it dosen't work on them all . Region free dvd or anydvd is the best and only reliable method to unlock " all " drives .Check out the pics below for proof !

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/mrbillyuk/regionfree.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/mrbillyuk/pioneerdvdregion.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/mrbillyuk/lite-ondvdregion.jpg

See you learn something everyday don't you Roy ?

MrBillyUK !

Look mate, you can flash a DVD drive to region free. This is known fact, not speculation. I've done it and it works, as have millions of other people.

The End.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Roy Munson said:
Look mate, you can flash a DVD drive to region free. This is known fact, not speculation. I've done it and it works, as have millions of other people.

The End.

Like i said mate .
It might do with some makes of drives but not all , as millions of people probably know . The pics clearly show the times remaining as " 4 " and thats with the latest official firmware on both drives . Maybe your using unofficial firmware ?? In that case its a risk you take .Official firmware is released to iron out any glitches that they discover after the drives have been released in to the market , not to make them region free or they would just make the drives region free from day one wouldn't they !

MrBillyUK !

TDI tyre shreader
MRBILLYUK said:
Like i said mate .
It might do with some makes of drives but not all , as millions of people probably know . The pics clearly show the times remaining as " 4 " and thats with the latest official firmware on both drives . Maybe your using unofficial firmware ?? In that case its a risk you take .Official firmware is released to iron out any glitches that they discover after the drives have been released in to the market , not to make them region free or they would just make the drives region free from day one wouldn't they !

MrBillyUK !

You are both right i have done this myself and have had to change drives due to them deing flashed and locked, this is openly a world reknown fact!!!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Jones said:
You are both right i have done this myself and have had to change drives due to them deing flashed and locked, this is openly a world reknown fact!!!

Cheers Jones .

At last somebody who knows what they are talking about , eh Roy ;) ;) ;)

MrBillyUK !

Clio 172 Ph2
By law the manufactures have to make their drives RPC2 compliant.

That's why sites like www.rpc1.org exist.

Almost every drive anyone should ever consider buying has RPC1 firmware available for it. It normally takes the people a day or so to release a patched RPC1 version of the latest offical release. Some can even be done by home users themselves with the aid of 3rd party tools (i.e. LiteOn based drive).
There is no 'risk' involved in using unoffical firmware from the above mentioned site, the patched firmware probably sees more testing than the official releases!