ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

e-scooters

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Anyone on here got one? Seem to be everywhere now, but... still illegal?

I mean these look decent:

I'm moving closer to work soon. 40 minute walk... me and the missus will probably go down to 1 car as she's even closer. Was thinking one of these would suit me chipping off to work in the early hours.

What's the deal with being illegal on the roads and pavement though? I see probably 5 people on them a day now. I believe they're now legal in the US?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
if you scroll down on the halfords link you posted it states

Please note that this scooter is not to be used on public highways, only on private property with the owner's consent.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I want one. Haven't got one yet, people reckon the law will change on them in future and then they'll be taxed and cost a lot more (does make sense to a degree).

I'd want one of them with suspension and small tyres as the hard wheel ones look bone jarringly uncomfortable.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
To be honest it’s very doubtful that the police would ever stop you on one of these. That’s not to say they couldn’t.

I’ve also been looking at these.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
To be honest it’s very doubtful that the police would ever stop you on one of these. That’s not to say they couldn’t.

I’ve seen people ride like utter pellets on them and wonder whether they’d get stopped by the plod.

I’m sure if you follow the rules of the road and stop for reds, don’t ride on pavements and generally be considerate you’d be really unlucky to get penalised for one.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one

Pre-lockdown on my Brompton commute across London I would see about 1 person a month pulled over on an e-scooter. That’s over a 12 month period.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Pre-lockdown on my Brompton commute across London I would see about 1 person a month pulled over on an e-scooter. That’s over a 12 month period.

That’s surprising because I don’t know anyone who’s prosecuted someone for being on one.

I dont think it’ll be long before the legislation is changed. These are perfect for getting people off of an already packed transport system in London.

Suzuki Jimny
They’re all over Europe, hired one in Berlin and was a great way of seeing the city.

That exact model you’ve linked was £299 in Halfords at the end of last year. I very nearly bought one until I saw a guy in Newport commuting on one every day in the sun, looked great fun until I then saw him pushing it one day with a flat tyre in the rain 😂

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
People in London have/do get fined for using one since that bird got killed using one in central London.

Personly I'd be very weary about spending lots of money and then getting told off by the boys in blue and not being able to use it.

It's a bit like speeding, all fun until you get caught

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Me and @dann2707 and 2 other mates went to Krakow last year and spent a large majority of our time pissed as farts smashing about on them through the streets. They're bloody good fun and a great way to get about.

2 things to note, the ones we had were absolutely lethal on wet ground as a few of us found out and they're bloody uncomfortable on cobbles and rough ground.

I'd love one to knock about on in England but i'd just have no use for one really.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf

785A2DF8-9AB6-484F-968E-29BA2EB3E445.jpeg

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
I always wanted to build something to get to work with, using one of those bicycle 36/48v hub motors. But the legality of it put me off.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
It is confusing.. as they are illegal, but some areas are trialling them which seems a bit hypocritical. My local area try to engage and educate first, and a few have been seized it they are riding dangerously, flying down pavements etc.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
I always wanted to build something to get to work with, using one of those bicycle 36/48v hub motors. But the legality of it put me off.
As long as it doesn’t have a throttle, pedal assist, and is limited to 15.5mph it’s legal.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Me and @dann2707 and 2 other mates went to Krakow last year and spent a large majority of our time pissed as farts smashing about on them through the streets. They're bloody good fun and a great way to get about.

2 things to note, the ones we had were absolutely lethal on wet ground as a few of us found out and they're bloody uncomfortable on cobbles and rough ground.

I'd love one to knock about on in England but i'd just have no use for one really.
Hahaha still got the mental scars from those.

In Poland they clean the streets from 11 to midnight which just happened to be the prime time for us lot to be several pints down and feeling invisible on them 😂😂😂😂

You're right though as soon as there's a bit of water it's not even a gradual wash out it is literally bang and you're gone 😂 proper pissing myself at how fun they were though, just tearing around Kraków dodging people whilst giggling like mad

They are addictive as hell

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
That's interesting about the hire ones. How are they actually going to know? Unless they're bright pink or something. They're not going to stop everyone on one to see if they're hired or not... I leave at 07:00 and barely see another car on the way to work sometimes so probably alright on the way there, but not so good on the way back lol. Are you legally allowed to use one of these with the motor turned off I wonder? Lot of money to spend just to see what happens. Unlikely to need one for 6 months yet anyway so I guess I'll just keep an eye on things.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
So you can use a private ebike at any speed you want, but not an e-scooter. Very strange law /thinking

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
So you can use a private ebike at any speed you want, but not an e-scooter. Very strange law /thinking

This:
As long as it doesn’t have a throttle, pedal assist, and is limited to 15.5mph it’s legal.
Applies to e-bikes, unless of course you SVA it as a motorbike.

As for scooters.... such a corrupt move today.
Private ones that people will look after (since they own it!)= illegal.
Rental ones that get dumped all over the streets everywhere = legal.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
This:

Applies to e-bikes, unless of course you SVA it as a motorbike.

As for scooters.... such a corrupt move today.
Private ones that people will look after (since they own it!)= illegal.
Rental ones that get dumped all over the streets everywhere = legal.
Private ones = don't generate income for the gov
Rental ones = do generate income for the gov

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
I have the Xiaomi you linked, I think they're great. I live in central London and ride mine quite often to the shops or to mates places and never gotten so much as a sideways glance from the plod. When we were able to actually go to the office it turned my half hour walk to a ten minute scoot.

Upsides:
Fun! Genuinely
Does skids when provoked
They seem to be pretty bomb-proof, mine has got dings and scrapes on the standing bit and will happily splash through puddles. Wet grip seems decent
Probably 3 times quicker than walking
Don't get hot and bothered as opposed to cycling
Can take them into buildings with you vs bike which you have to lock outside
Mileage claims are accurate but some compromise, see below
Low maintenance, owned mine about 8 months and all I've done is wash it, charge it, pump the tyres, and adjust the brakes - which are very good.

Downsides:
Currently illegal, but as mentioned, don't be a plonker and you shouldn't have any trouble
Could do with being about 3-5 mph faster, currently it's annoying if you're in a narrower roads holding up traffic, on a bike you can always pedal faster, would be nice to be able to do 20 mph
As soon as they go below 75% charge they drop about 2-3 mph in top speed, 50% another few mph, 25% or less and you may as well be walking
Rough roads aren't that bad, no worse than being on a bike and having your nads hammered by a seat, but cobbles are definitely a challenge
You look a bit of a tit

The recent legalisation of rentals does strike me as odd, though I understand it is initially for a trial. Some of the largest companies in the world have stakes in these rental firms so not surprising to see the govt kowtowing to them. I think eventually they will become legal, especially considering the recent discouragement of public transport and the move towards electric mobility.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Thanks for the info, very useful! We might be going down to 1 family car soon, so after I sell my 2 I'll have some spare cash to get myself some toys anyway :)

Worst comes to the worst I'm moving from a flat without a garden, to a house with 80' garden so I'll just do speed trials up and down to celebrate my new found freedom lol.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Thanks for the info, very useful! We might be going down to 1 family car soon, so after I sell my 2 I'll have some spare cash to get myself some toys anyway :)

Worst comes to the worst I'm moving from a flat without a garden, to a house with 80' garden so I'll just do speed trials up and down to celebrate my new found freedom lol.
How about an electric skateboard? Looks like a normal skateboard so probably wouldn’t get stopped on it, and does up to 25mph! I had a lithium battery/brushless motor skateboard years ago when they first came out, mine did 20mph, doesn’t sound that fast but it was proper scary fun going 20mph on a skateboard.

Mini Cooper S sport
I realllllllly want one of these!

Some of them seem very expensive for what they are though.

I'd love one to zoom to work on when the weather's nice, I reckon it would only take me about ten minutes and most of the way I could nip through housing estates and wide pathways.

I've been looking at this one but it's a bit slow:

LawrenceR

ClioSport Club Member
My pennys worth.... you look like a tit riding them.....they are all over Europe and my brain still can't compute an adult riding around on essentially a kids toy!

On a serious note, consider a helmet also, adds to the tit factor, but safety first kids.....I was on one of the rented ones in Athens last year, a few beers in and I smashed myself up good and proper. Salmoned along the gravelly pavement on my face and hands....chipped a tooth, cut open my lip, hands and one side of my face.....they are lethal. Also pretty quiet, so pedestrians will walk out on you and you'll have to avoid them!

Still, made for a good story.....oh, and earache from the misses about growing up and being more sensible!! 🙄

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
I realllllllly want one of these!

Some of them seem very expensive for what they are though.

I'd love one to zoom to work on when the weather's nice, I reckon it would only take me about ten minutes and most of the way I could nip through housing estates and wide pathways.

I've been looking at this one but it's a bit slow:

The Xiaomi will do 15mph and it doesn't feel fast enough, 15kph would feel like a crawl. I've seen the Xiaomi as cheap as £300, I paid £330. My bike was stolen so I bought it to replace that.

My pennys worth.... you look like a tit riding them.....they are all over Europe and my brain still can't compute an adult riding around on essentially a kids toy!

On a serious note, consider a helmet also, adds to the tit factor, but safety first kids.....I was on one of the rented ones in Athens last year, a few beers in and I smashed myself up good and proper. Salmoned along the gravelly pavement on my face and hands....chipped a tooth, cut open my lip, hands and one side of my face.....they are lethal. Also pretty quiet, so pedestrians will walk out on you and you'll have to avoid them!

Still, made for a good story.....oh, and earache from the misses about growing up and being more sensible!! 🙄

I fully accept my tit-ness, but maybe the lesson is skip the beers! I've never come off mine.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The ktec website is so s**t that you have to choose what car you drive everytime you want to look at a product