ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E3 2013

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Yes you can still buy them and play them. There is an option for publishers to request a fee for the transfer of license which TBH is the model most of them want because they lose millions to the used game market. Whether any take up this option is going to be interesting as DLC allows a lot of the lost revenue to be made up from used games.

This guy will know better than most.

1.8 Civic EX
Am I right in saying that you'll actually still be able to buy pre-owned Xbox One games? Sounds like nonsense scaremongering to me!

You can't only have one owner of a game. Shirley!

Yes you will still be able to get pre-owned games.

Everyone also seem to have forgotten all about the cloud aspect of the xbox one. Where you can share "digital copies" of games with selected people on your freinds list, ie lend it/borrow etc.

Whilst the constant toing and froing of specs, DRM and pre-owned games makes for truly riveting discussion, I'm more interested in seeing whether MS will be allowing the use of some of the better racing wheels from Fanatec/Logitech et al, what with Forza 5 being one of their main draws for people buying the Xbox over the PS4.

I hope so. Two of my mates jumped from 360 to PS3 purely due to the lack of decent wheels on the Xbox, but then they got stuck with GT5, so...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I think DMR has been around for ages anyway. It's just scaremongering imo. Things have changed of course but it's not as bad as any are making out imo.

Pre-owned games keep businesses alive. Not that Microsoft actually care to be fair but it's a massive industry. Lets hope they don't forget that gamers keep this industry alive, it's maybe high time that they remember that.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Has anything been said about current accounts? Will you sign in with these or have to create a new one? Be quite good to keep same details and previous trophies etc.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Oh and did they mention that backwards compatibility definitely won't be available or is that speculation? It's mostly for Grand Theft.

Evo 5 RS
I think DMR has been around for ages anyway. It's just scaremongering imo. Things have changed of course but it's not as bad as any are making out imo.

Pre-owned games keep businesses alive. Not that Microsoft actually care to be fair but it's a massive industry. Lets hope they don't forget that gamers keep this industry alive, it's maybe high time that they remember that.

It has, but there have been O.K DRM and terrible DRM. This IMHO falls within the former. I don't see why people are so pissed off about it, it's not ideal no, but they're providing a service and when it boils down to it, you're still going to pay for it.

It's been confirmed prior to E3 that there is no backwards compatibility.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Oh and did they mention that backwards compatibility definitely won't be available or is that speculation? It's mostly for Grand Theft.

Can't recall them talking about backwards compatibility at all last night. Just mentioned that support and titles for PS3 will keep coming.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
One more questions guys. I really do not get this connect to the net every 24 hours.

I don't use mine for days. I don't think people understand this or they interpretation is wrong surely.

And exactly what happens if you don't? You can't play online? Bullshit.

1.8 Civic EX
It connects to the net even if in standby. Just makes a call home to say hi and let the HQ know how it's doing.

TBH I can't see that it would block you from playing any games. When mine is off, it's off at the wall (and can be for a few days on the trott, up to a few weeks if I'm abroad/holiday somewhere) not just in standby.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Spoonie will no more but my understanding is that if you connect up and play your game then come back 24 hours later and your Internet is down you can't play the game. You can still use it as a media centre just not be able to play any of the game, not even single player.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
One more questions guys. I really do not get this connect to the net every 24 hours.

I don't use mine for days. I don't think people understand this or they interpretation is wrong surely.

And exactly what happens if you don't? You can't play online? Bulls**t.

You just need an internet connection to play the games. If you've not had a connection after 24 hours since the last time it was connected, the game won't play. So you get 24 hours of "disconnected" time to play the game. If after that period you still aren't connected, you either need to reconnect or the game won't play.

You can be away for 30 days and not play on the console, but as soon as you return you'll need to connect it again to resume play.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Okay so it's actually just like it is just now. You need the internet to play the game online. Okay I understand the sort of Offline save mode but my machine has been connected to the net since it was first plugged in. Why would it not be?

Although i'm not sure why they would restrict people playing single player mode with no internet connectivity. So you're no longer a gamer unless you're online?

If you can't play any game without using the net then I can see the massive uproar and I think that is heavily wrong.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Infact it's utterly retarded to be honest if that's the case.

1.8 Civic EX
Does seem a bit daft, but I would expect it's all do to with the cloud aspects of the xbox one. Keeping your profile up to date, game updates, sharing games/info etc

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Okay so it's actually just like it is just now. You need the internet to play the game online. Okay I understand the sort of Offline save mode but my machine has been connected to the net since it was first plugged in. Why would it not be?

Although i'm not sure why they would restrict people playing single player mode with no internet connectivity. So you're no longer a gamer unless you're online?

If you can't play any game without using the net then I can see the massive uproar and I think that is heavily wrong.

You can play a game for 24 hours with no connection, but MS require you to connect after that. Not sure why, I'm sure it'll be documented somewhere. Think it's something to do with constantly downloading updates etc.

But, in essence, if you've got a broadband connection you should be fine. The problem comes when that connection goes down for days, or when there's no link or broadband in an area (the Middle East for example, when troops are gaming). MS will lose a lot of folk because of that.

Infact, it really needs looked at more closely. Although it doesn't affect me or you (in general), it DOES affect many, many thousands.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
If you're too poor to live in an area without a decent internet connection nowadays, you aren't going to be able to afford an Xbox One. Fact.

;)

Evo 5 RS
As some people have already said I think a lot of it will change.

Staying with PC for anything other than Forza and future exclusives TBFH.

Anyway, what time does the Xbox One showcase start UK time?

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
It does seem really daft. It won't affect me but the last time I moved flat I had no Internet for 3weeks due to problems with no fibre optic and needing engineers out at the exchange, etc. if I had an XBO I wouldn't of been able to play it. Would like to see a document with reasons why they opted for it.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The whole having to phone in to play online is bulls**t IMO.
Sometimes we have a ps3 or an xbox on the boat if we have long shifts. We have no way of connecting them online. I know people who spend a lot of times in hotel rooms that takes consoles with them for when they are away for a few days

What happens when you have a faulty broadband connection? Or move house /change suppliers? Have to sit there and just look at your Xbox instead of playing campaign.

Just a massive retarded mistake by MS IMO!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah there must be more to this than meets the eye. It's utterly retarded otherwise.

It's so the Xbox can upload all the voice recordings and video footage to Microsoft which is then sold to third parties who use the data to target advertising.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I can understand if they want constant updates. I just can't see why they won't allow you to game offline and then do a bulk update when you get back to a bb connection.
Seriously think this will put I big dent in their sales and they will make a change to their policy after a while.

Evo 5 RS
According to Gametrailers.com http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/e3/live.html

BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS, ASSASSINS CREED IV AND PACHTER

UK: 17:00 / EU: 18:00

Day 2 of Spike's exclusive E3 coverage continues. We've got the world premiere first demo of BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS from Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment, plus first interviews on two surprise new games that will be announced on Monday during press conferences. ASSASSIN'S CREED IV comes by to world premiere new footage beyond what was shown on Monday, and the one and only MICHAEL PACHTER joins us live in studio to grade the major press conferences. Plus, Gearbox is with us to show us new parts of the TINY TINA DLC for BORDERLANDS 2.

JACK TRETTON, SPLINTER CELL, THE WALKING DEAD, ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE
UK: 18:00 / EU: 19:00

It's a big hour for executive interviews, as JACK TRETTON comes by for his yearly interview with Geoff about all things PlayStation. Will this be the year when Geoff finally gets an update on AGENT? Plus, exclusive new demos of SPLINTER CELL BLACKLIST, THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE and DIABLO III for PS3 and XBOX 360. And another surprise game demo we can't yet tell you about, and Telltale comes by to show off something new tied to THE WALKING DEAD.

THE NINTENDO POWER HOUR WITH REGGIE AND MIYAMOTO!
UK: 19:00 / EU: 20:00

It's the interview you've been waiting all E3 (well let's be honest, ALL YEAR!) to see. Geoff Keighley sits down with REGGIE FILS-AIME for an in-depth two part interview about the state of Nintendo. Will Reggie yell at Geoff again or will he check all the boxes and leave the competition in the dust? Find out live! Plus, the legend himself SHIGERU MIYAMOTO joins Geoff as well for a special chat about what's new at Nintendo. Finally our friends from MEGA64 join us to discuss their thoughts on E3 so far and we show the first E3 demo of SONIC LOST WORLDS for the Wii-U.

ERIC HIRSHBERG, FREDDIEW, BONUS ROUND, AND MORE
UK: 20:00 / EU: 21:00

Activision CEO ERIC HIRSHBERG joins Geoff to discuss CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS and DESTINY, and it's time for GT's yearly BONUS ROUND AT E3, with special guests JASON RUBIN (co-founder, Naughty Dog, ANDY MCNAMARA (Editor-in-Chief, Game Informer) and JEFF GERSTMANN (Giant Bomb). Plus, Internet star Freddie Wong joins us to exclusively premiere a new clip of VIDEO GAME HIGH SCHOOL SEASON 2.

DARK SOULS II, YVES GUILLEMOT AND FINAL BOSMAN LIVE
UK: 21:00 / EU: 22:00

Our final hour of live coverage includes Ubisoft CEO YVES GUILLEMOT live in studio, plus the world premiere of the E3 demo of DARK SOULS II with new, never-before-seen classes and footage! Then, it's what you've been waiting for: a LIVE FINAL BOSMAN episode where our resident gamer Kyle Bosman reacts to the news and press conferences.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Yeah there must be more to this than meets the eye. It's utterly retarded otherwise.

edume6az.jpg

Fiesta ST
It does seem really daft. It won't affect me but the last time I moved flat I had no Internet for 3weeks due to problems with no fibre optic and needing engineers out at the exchange, etc. if I had an XBO I wouldn't of been able to play it. Would like to see a document with reasons why they opted for it.

Just use the hotspot function on your phone (if you got signal of course) still not ideal though is it.

At a guess, it's to combat pirated/chipped consoles?

Those that have modded consoles usually have them offline only. So MS will never know they were playing pirated games, and can't blacklist the console.

​If every console must connect online, MS can check the consoles/DRM codes.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Just use the hotspot function on your phone (if you got signal of course) still not ideal though is it.

That depends on what it does when you have to connect. If its just to say hi then yes but if it has to do more that involves downloading updates, uploading information that could get very expensive. Like I said better documentation is needed.

Being a PS diehard since the beginning and wanting to jump ships to play Forza these reveals of XBO features and games haven't enthused me enough. Also the odd choices have seemed really odd.

Evo 5 RS
It's to do with chipping yes, constant checks are the easiest way forward. Despite what some people think piracy is still a massive problem on consoles.

I will try and take a punt at this from how I see it.

When you install a game you no longer need to use the disk to validate ownership (as per 360), instead you have validation stored in the cloud. XBLA games were/are tied to your gamertag in a similar way and if I remember rightly cannot be played offline (someone correct me if I am wrong, its so long since I played one).

If you go on to sell the game you are transferring the license. Publishers want to ensure that you people don't simply buy a game, install it and then sit playing offline. The only way to do this is have the Xbox connect to the web to validate your license is still valid. 24 hours is a reasonable amount of time to check.

The details on buying/selling games still haven't been disclosed but that's how I read things.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's the single player aspect that I find absurd. Very very unfair for some.

You think all parents are going to buy their kids XBL membership? I know multiplayer is big but some families own one and use kinect etc like a Wii with the family. They don't want or need XBL.

They're going to have to look very closely at that idea!

It's the single player aspect that I find absurd. Very very unfair for some.

You think all parents are going to buy their kids XBL membership? I know multiplayer is big but some families own one and use kinect etc like a Wii with the family. They don't want or need XBL.

They're going to have to look very closely at that idea!
I don't think there has been any indication that it would need an Xbox Live Gold subscription. Just internet connectivity.