ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E3 2013

I don't really care if games look absolutely amazing, as most of them are just your typical linear, go here.....shoot that...then go here....do this.

Like Crysis, looks stunning, but just the same as COD.

Fallout were the best games I ever played, as every time you play it could be different, depending on what missions you do and who you talk to etc. What's different every time you play COD etc?.....just the difficulty.

But I guess if the game is so detailed, if would make you enjoy it more despite what I think.

F82 M4
Now I don't want to sound stupid but is that Division game shown above showing single player or co-op multiplayer?

dk

911 GTS Cab
I will try and take a punt at this from how I see it.

When you install a game you no longer need to use the disk to validate ownership (as per 360), instead you have validation stored in the cloud. XBLA games were/are tied to your gamertag in a similar way and if I remember rightly cannot be played offline (someone correct me if I am wrong, its so long since I played one).

If you go on to sell the game you are transferring the license. Publishers want to ensure that you people don't simply buy a game, install it and then sit playing offline. The only way to do this is have the Xbox connect to the web to validate your license is still valid. 24 hours is a reasonable amount of time to check.

The details on buying/selling games still haven't been disclosed but that's how I read things.
This is exactly why they are doing it, i pretty much said the same thing in the Xbox thread.

its the only way they can realistically do it to keep these new drm 'features' at bay.

/therealdk

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
You just need an internet connection to play the games. If you've not had a connection after 24 hours since the last time it was connected, the game won't play. So you get 24 hours of "disconnected" time to play the game. If after that period you still aren't connected, you either need to reconnect or the game won't play.

You can be away for 30 days and not play on the console, but as soon as you return you'll need to connect it again to resume play.

Thats how I interpret it too, but the questionis, Why does it need to do that lol?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
To prevent piracy. It's fudging obvious is it not?

The Ps4 doesnt feel the need to do it. I only play single player games. I got a new internet connection last year, I havent even bothered to update the wifi settings on my 360.

All I wanna do is play Forza 5, single Player, career.

Its not an issue, I obviously have a broadband connection, it just annoys me that it needs to do it.

The Pirates will get round it anyway, they always do.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Yep, the reason MS require a connection every 24 hours is so that you don't simply install a game, give it to your mate and they install it. If they didnt do it, everyone would just have free games!!!

Its quite simple really.

The reason the PS4 does not require a 24 hour check in is because you physically have to put the game disc in when you play. Want to play another game? change the game disc.

With the Xbox One, you dont change discs, all games are installed. So your entire library is available on your Xbox One and any other Xbox One you sign in to. You can launch any game instantly without having to change the disc.

24 hour verification is obvious for these reasons. Its the only way to be sure a game is not installed on multiple Xbox Ones.

Only way around it? Make the user have to insert the disc everytime they play a game - aka what the PS4 is doing.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You kinda confused me there. So I could go round my mates with no game and sign in to my account and play my games. Ie online or just multiplayer with him?

What is the internet check checking for? Surely after you install the game you don't actually need the disc anymore? Of course like Microsoft I assume it'll be a once install but then how do you sell the game on? If it's not then why not install it on 2 machines and pay once. Go halfers on the game!

Mental scenario.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Yep, the reason MS require a connection every 24 hours is so that you don't simply install a game, give it to your mate and they install it. If they didnt do it, everyone would just have free games!!!

Its quite simple really.

The reason the PS4 does not require a 24 hour check in is because you physically have to put the game disc in when you play. Want to play another game? change the game disc.

With the Xbox One, you dont change discs, all games are installed. So your entire library is available on your Xbox One and any other Xbox One you sign in to. You can launch any game instantly without having to change the disc.

24 hour verification is obvious for these reasons. Its the only way to be sure a game is not installed on multiple Xbox Ones.

Only way around it? Make the user have to insert the disc everytime they play a game - aka what the PS4 is doing.

Why though? WTF is wrong with putting this disc on lol?

I dont want a media library, same with my music. I want a physical copy. A Box, a Book etc.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

Its quite simple really.

When you install games to the hard disk on the 360 don't you still need to have the disc in?

dk

911 GTS Cab

Its quite simple really.

you know its only got a 500gb hard drive right?

do you know how many games that will be with next gen graphics on bluray disks?

you won't be able to install all your games onto the hard drive and just leave them there as you'll run out of space fast.

i also don't understand how they are going to do this going to a mates house, logging in with your profile and being able to play your games, i know the game, once it gets installed will tie it to your account and a copy of the game is in the cloud, but still, how is it going to get 30-50gb of game over a 1 or 2 mb connection to play at the console end? will you have to download it onto your mates console, and then when you leave he'll have to delete it if he hasn't purchased it himself as it will be no use. i believe that sony allow you to start playing the game before its downloaded if you buy a game from the store. xbox one games are all going to be available to download, but its a fairly big download for a game, like i said, going to be 20-50gb!

this is something they haven't explained yet that i have seen

dk

911 GTS Cab
so I've found this, and it still just talks about all the games being in the cloud and when logging into a friends xbox with your username you have access to all of your games, but it doesn't say how it does it, it must stream it, but then thats going to be dependent on the internet connection speed, the article mentions a minimum of 1.5 mb/s, but i can see it needing more than that for a next gen high def game. And i wonder if you can both play multiplayer on that with the friend logged in too, or whether they have to own the game to do that. It also talks about anyone being able to play the games on your system, whether you are logged in or not, and also allowing unto 10 family members to use the games you own. It doesn't say whether these family members need to be on the same console, but i don't think so as it says they can only use them 1 at a time in the cloud, so whats stopping you and 10 mates being 'family'? All very vague at the moment.

Xbox One: A Modern, Connected Device

Xbox One will deliver new benefits for gamers that are only possible with a system designed from the ground up to be ready and connected. Here are just a few examples:

- A new generation of games with power from the cloud: Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you’re not playing.

- Your Xbox One is always ready: Xbox One is designed to run in a low-powered, connected state. This means your system, games and apps are always current and ready to play—no more waiting for updates.

- Stay connected to your friends: Never miss an opportunity to play games with your friends or to catch up with family on Skype. Use Skype in Snap mode to chat while you play games or watch TV. Or enjoy group video Skype calls with people around the world, all from the comfort of your living room.

- Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.

- Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release.

Networking Technologies

A range of advanced technologies will make these scenarios possible, including:

- Superior wireless performance and coverage throughout the home: Xbox One is equipped with a gigabit Ethernet port and 802.11n wireless. With 802.11n, Xbox One can use the 5GHz wireless band which eliminates considerable interference from other devices in the home, such as cordless phones, Bluetooth devices and microwaves. Xbox One uses two wireless antennas, versus one in Xbox 360. This provides dramatically better coverage and sustained performance, which means faster internet speeds in more areas of your home.

- Faster connection to a world of smart devices: With Wi-Fi Direct, Xbox One can speak directly to smart wireless devices and connect to them through the cloud. This means your smartphone or tablet will interact with Xbox One seamlessly.

- Future proofed with power from the cloud: Microsoft has created a global network of more than 300,000 Xbox Live and Windows Azure servers, to help creators realize their visions of what is possible with a connected system.

Networking Requirements

To ensure Xbox One works optimally and can offer the experiences described above, it is designed with the following networking requirements:

- For an optimal experience, we recommend a broadband connection of 1.5Mbps. (For reference, the average global internet connection speed as measured recently by Akamai was 2.9 Mbps). In areas where an Ethernet connection is not available, you can connect using mobile broadband.

- While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection.

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

At Xbox, we’ve always believed in a connected world of games and entertainment. With Xbox One, we are planning for a connected future. We can’t wait to show you what’s to come.

How Games Licensing Will Work on Xbox One

With our modern architecture, Xbox One games will load more quickly, will be always accessible from the cloud, and there is no physical limit to the size or scope of the content provided.

Here are our platform policies and capabilities for game licensing – all of which will be made available when Xbox One launches later this year:

- Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.

- Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.

- Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

- Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

- Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

- Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.

As we move into this new generation of games and entertainment, from time to time, Microsoft may change its policies, terms, products and services to reflect modifications and improvements to our services, feedback from customers and our business partners or changes in our business priorities and business models or for other reasons. We may also cease to offer certain services or products for similar reasons.

In the months ahead, we will continue to listen to your feedback as we meet with our partners in the ecosystem to bring additional detail about our policies.

We are excited about this new generation of games and entertainment and look forward to sharing more news with our fans.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
un2a5glm.jg0.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

That is mind boggling. They need to have a long hard look at themselves if that's the case. So so many people will simply not buy that console. That's a fact i'm afraid.

How can you buy a console when there is a small chance at some point you won't actually be able to play your own games on your own console.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
That is mind boggling. They need to have a long hard look at themselves if that's the case. So so many people will simply not buy that console. That's a fact i'm afraid.

How can you buy a console when there is a small chance at some point you won't actually be able to play your own games on your own console.

Truth is, the way they've done it, they aren't actually your games. You're paying a publisher to use them as they have the rights to what you can do with them afterwards.

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it’s called Xbox 360”

Lol at that! Not exactly the best sales pitch I've ever heard.

Evo 5 RS
That's a pretty stupid counter argument if I'm honest.

Yeah but purely because Apple would never do anything that convenient lol. Micro SD is so un-propitiatory.

Realised another major flaw with Xbox One.

Internet Explorer.

Drive Club looks amazing, just saying. Could be the PS4's answer to Forza.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Everybody is acting like the 360 is going to be discontinued when the One is released... I can see it being around for longer than the One at this rate

Evo 5 RS
Yeah, takes two or so years for the previous to dissolve. Or longer in some cases. PS2 hung about like a bad smell for ages. Besides, GTAV is gonna be on my TV for a while.

Everybody is acting like the 360 is going to be discontinued when the One is released... I can see it being around for longer than the One at this rate

I agree, the jump from previous 'generations' were HUGE. Online and HD gaming.

The One could go the same way as CoD. Everyone plays it for a few months, then goes back to the previous version.

The 360/PS3 are still very capable consoles, which will probably still release a lot of the new games for years to come, making it easier for people to stick with the current gen.

Evo 5 RS
After the success that was Human Revolution, really disappointed to see they've been spending their time on a prequel (or sequel to one of the novels, as if anyone has read them) only to be released on iOS and Android :/.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I agree that a lot of people will still stick with current gen consoles as they are very capable ("The last of us"wand prove that) but some people won't even have the choice if they wanted to stick with MS. Least with Sony they can upgrade and still play campaign /split screen multiplayer.