ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E46 M3 Vs New M5

Breaking A 172 Replica
My Dads mate has an M3 (not CSL) and does tend to think alot of himself and his car. He was round here earlier on, a little drunk, bullshitting on about his car and saying how fast it is. My Dad and I were laughing.

However he did say one thing that I though may or may not be true.

He reckoned his M3 could beat the new M5 on any given road type or on a track.

What do we reckon? I am not sure as the M5 has 160BHP more but yet is obv heavier.

Discuss.

Sam

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Slap him around the face with a nice cold kipper! My E39 M5 would kill his M3. As for the E60 M5, different league intirely!

Breaking A 172 Replica
Jesus that youtube vid is amazing...I didn't think there would be that much in it!!!

Presumabely the M6 is quicker than both yeah?

Sam

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Sam,

You can take it from me, NO M3 will take on and beat the new E60 M5.

It is one of the fastest saloons I have ever driven, the sheer power and acceleration at any road speed has to be experienced to be believed, it is literally breathtaking, and for a big car it is amazingly agile.

On paper there would appear there is not much in it 0-60, but in reality the M5 is just settling in at 60 and will pull like a train all the way to 205 mph.

Perhaps your Dad should take his friend down to your nearest BMW dealer (when he has sobered up) and book a test drive.

I would agree, the M3 is a very fast and capable car but it is not in the same league as the M5.

I know which one I would bet my house on.

Breaking A 172 Replica
Ok thanks for you replies guys.

Just one more question... what about the new M3 featured in this months evo?

How will it fair (sp?) against the M5 on the straights and in the twisties (that word still makes me laugh)?

Sam

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Ok thanks for you replies guys.

Just one more question... what about the new M3 featured in this months evo?

How will it fair (sp?) against the M5 on the straights and in the twisties (that word still makes me laugh)?

Sam

Don't know yet, BMW have only just admitted that they are going to produce it, up till last week it was still a "concept" car. ;)

Breaking A 172 Replica
Well I wouldn't mind either of them to be honest. Although I do think it is awesome the way the M5 is sooo quick for such a big car.

Are there any plans for BMW to release a smaller M car? (like the M coupe?)

Sam

mazda 2 sport white
Well I wouldn't mind either of them to be honest. Although I do think it is awesome the way the M5 is sooo quick for such a big car.

Sam

maybe a m1 2door or a 130 2 door , BM the worlds an oyster moneys no object don't think any strate 6 m powers may all be v8 , Audi look out

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5

Sam

They have an E87, 1 series that was going to be labeled M1, but as they have used the M1 label already they have called it the 130iM ,its 265 bhp.

m1.gif

Turbos.
Well that is a CSL, so not quite the same. With the sticky tyres that came with it on a short circuit the CSL is as quick as a Noble M12. That Z-Tune is insane though!

Standard M3 is quicker round a track than an M5. Bit obvious that it's slower in a straightline...

Bumblebee
Well that is a CSL, so not quite the same. With the sticky tyres that came with it on a short circuit the CSL is as quick as a Noble M12. That Z-Tune is insane though!

Standard M3 is quicker round a track than an M5. Bit obvious that it's slower in a straightline...

Maybe for a lap then the CSL's brakes will fall off. Still an awesome car with a 6 pot upgrade.

Nippy white cup

But the M5 is quicker than the CSL on that showing so surely quicker than a M3....yes is catches on the bends but it makes soo much up on the straights it doesn't matter....dependant on the course obviously

Chris

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5

Thats the basic laws of physics coming into play, the amount of lateral G generated by 2 tons of motorcar will always be a problem when trying to catch something lighter on the same corner, tyres can not be increased in size proportional to the forces at play.

The balance is redressed in a straight line when sheer Grunt will win and traction is aided by the additional weight.

Whats the saying , no substitute for cubes, not really surprising this expression was born in America where they struggle to make a car that will go round corners.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Ring times would be a good indication.

Id imagine theres not a great deal in it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Im using my pet hate as a benchmark to give you an idea.

Top gear track:

Csl 1.28.0
M5 1.26.something.

Ring times would be closer still.

bmw E36 328i sport
pmsl! There aint any contest,the M5 would piss over it hands down,Its the quickest saloon around!
Dont get me wrong the M3s are quick as a mate had one for a year and i never wanted to get out of it but the M5 is a whole different ball park,V10!Its F1 technology ;)

Nippy white cup
I have to agree with Tom on this.....round the ring I would think the CSL would be a fair bit quicker BTG. There are too many tight bends one after the other for the M5 to handle imo. The CSL would be able to carry so much more speed that the M5 would start to catch then another complex and it is playing catch up again. Horses for courses after all the M5 is an amazing machine but it is hardly a stripped out track based motor

Chris

Chris

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
pmsl! There aint any contest,the M5 would piss over it hands down,Its the quickest saloon around!
Dont get me wrong the M3s are quick as a mate had one for a year and i never wanted to get out of it but the M5 is a whole different ball park,V10!Its F1 technology ;)

Wow, years of engine development summed up in one simple sentence.

Genius

bmw E36 328i sport
So whats the problem????? its stating the obvious yet some people love to argue over nothing,and bmw did develope there V10 Basing it on understanding and knowledge of how the bmw F1 engine was created,I dont understand why some people have problems with certain comments,And you all then wonder why some members feel offended.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
So whats the problem????? its stating the obvious yet some people love to argue over nothing,and bmw did develope there V10 Basing it on understanding and knowledge of how the bmw F1 engine was created,I dont understand why some people have problems with certain comments,And you all then wonder why some members feel offended.

Because its not really true?

The 197 has F1 Technology according to renaults marketing department.

bmw E36 328i sport
But really,does anyone know this isnt true for a fact?
Surely they wouldnt just say that as a marketing stunt,BMW being one of the biggest car manufactures in the world?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Why not?

Things that link it to f1

* it has pistons
* its a V10 (the norm in f1 at the time)
* the block is cast in the same place as the F1 casts
* it has spark plugs
* it has an air filter

Things that dont

* everything else