ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E92 M3

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Why is it pointless? Because it is a practical premium hot hatch? Perfect for families and people who want a bit more from the 3 door?

It's a perfect compromise of space/performance/practicality, there is exactly nothing 'pointless' about it.

TTRS, 172 Cup track
Did you expect anything else from Harris on an Audi?

rs3 seems to set very fast 'ring lap times in the hands of private individuals

Leon Cupra 300
I'd prefer a 3 door RS3 but to many that would be more pointless than the 5 door..

It probably understeers like a b**ch on the limit, on track.. But going at 8 or 9/10ths on the road I can't see it been any issue.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
That is the thing though, the clientele that are buying an RS3 - how many are taking them on track? Very few i'd imagine! Most that drive them will think understeer is a bull thats crouching down.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'd prefer a 3 door RS3 but to many that would be more pointless than the 5 door..

It probably understeers like a b**ch on the limit, on track.. But going at 8 or 9/10ths on the road I can't see it been any issue.

Bingo. They probably got more sales from making it a 5 door. I just prefer 3 door.

TTRS, 172 Cup track
They didn't make a 3 door because of the TTRS apparently.

similiar in the vane that the rs4 is avant only as the rs5 exists

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Your taste in cars gets worse by the day boy.

I appreciate the appeal of the Audi RS Range. Subtle, but special enough to people in the know. That was great. Then S Line came along, and you could spec your diesel up to look pretty much identical to the RS Range.

You then go to a stage where they made the S3 only slightly more aggressive than the A3 S Line. They then based the Flagship RS3 on the Sportback, which meant it had 4 doors, which made it even more subtle and toned down, and added wheels which you could spec (albeit in a smaller size and less aggressive offset) on to your diesel.

They took the appeal ot the subtlety too far IMO and basing it on a 4 door water it down far too much.

I cant see why you would want a 4 door in the A3 Shape. IF you want a Performance Audi 4 Door, buy an RS4.

The RS3 should have been an absolutely mental motherf**ker. Basing it on a Sportback with 4 doors, this became impossible.

But obviously GTR over RS3/S3/RS4.

Obviusly all in my opinion.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I really don't understand the Gtr wankathon some people has. Just leaves me so cold.

I do agree though I wanted the RS3 to be a mental hatch like the A1 Quattro... buuuut petrolheads like I said before probably make up a tiny percentage of the buying public.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I really don't understand the Gtr w**kathon some people has. Just leaves me so cold.

I do agree though I wanted the RS3 to be a mental hatch like the A1 Quattro... buuuut petrolheads like I said before probably make up a tiny percentage of the buying public.

Figures mainly. There's literally f**k all that can touch a standard one, let alone a played with one. You may hate the looks, plasticcy interior, and thats fair enough In that league they obviosuly dont compare to a V8 Vantage for example, its not going to look as graceful as a Porsche or Ferrari parked up in a country pub on a Summers Evening. You're not gonna glance over from the beer garden and see it and think WOW like you would the new Jaguar F Type. but the MY12's are into the 2's to 0-60 and 5's to 100. Thats not fast, or supercar fast, its hyper car speeds. In a Nissan. With a tax disc. With a Boot. With a warranty. At some point, as a male petrol head, that must appeal to you.

Petrolheads obviously do make up a small percentage, so why bother with an S3 AND an RS3 if its going to be so similar in terms of looks? Make the S3 available as a 5 door (I think it is?), then bring out a limited run of a mental RS3's.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
To be fair, 345ps in a 'family' hatch back is going to prove mental enough to the people that buy them. A GTR whilst ballistic like you say - it's not even on the same page is it?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah they do. The same reason the new Clio 200T has a turbo, 5doors and a dsg box.

Not rocket science.

Oh and going from 0-70mph is brilliant at a set of lights then you slow down for the speed limit.

Outright speed does nothing for me, especially when a very slow Aston will as you say look so graceful and turn heads for the right reasons. Maybe it's a pretention thing.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Yeah they do. The same reason the new Clio 200T has a turbo, 5doors and a dsg box.

Not rocket science.

Oh and going from 0-70mph is brilliant at a set of lights then you slow down for the speed limit.

Outright speed does nothing for me, especially when a very slow Aston will as you say look so graceful and turn heads for the right reasons. Maybe it's a pretention thing.

I can fully appreciate that, Perhaps the GTR is actually too fast, especially for the road. I really enjoyed cruising about for most of last year in a less than 1 year old M Sport 3 Series Diesel, and that didnt have any sort of performance.

But I still think that in a GTR knowing that there's only a handful of cars/bikes, most of which you wont even see on your journey that can keep up with what potentially happens when you floor the accelerator would make me feel alpha as f**k. Even driving along at 30, just knowing what COULD happen if I floored it would be awesome I think

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Everyone has their own opinions on cars; naturally.

For the money I paid for the M3 I could have had an Aston, Ferrari or 3 new clio's! The RS3 is an epic all rounder, regardless of what Harris says! Audi have since moved to the PSS tyre which has made a big difference to the front end!

The M3 is a great all rounder, a very balanced car which works Monday-Sunday, all day long! It's not perfect by any means, but I like it!

Re. The GTR, I'm a fan of the GTR..The performance is staggering! However it is a big car and not great on the back roads, I'm sure Jason would confirm my latter comment!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Looks awesome i have on myself! iv seen your post on M3 forum too.

intrax look well..

I had a Z4MC a year ago and this is miles better in many ways the V8 in the M3 won awards! it truly is a screamer and i am getting 20.6MPG! not bad i recon.

Enjoy I'm currently ordering a Xpipe for mine looking forward to noise!

Look forward to hearing it!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Harris is a prick. RS3 FTW.

I like Harris, but the test between the M135i and the RS3 was the worst I’ve seen. The RS3 looks better, sounds better, is better on fuel, better appointed, faster round the ring (yet is heavily criticised for having s**t handling), better damping on the road, better driving position, better audio, better image.

The M135i was utterly disappointing, sounds dull and left me feeling ashamed that BMW had the audacity to put an M badge on it! Same could be said of the 1M, but at least it’s quick on track and deserves the badge!

Snotter's
The rs3 has a better image?!? If your a dealer then maybe.

The rs3 is old hat and doesnt even feel particularly quick.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Sub 4 secords to 60...Is that not considered quick by Cliosport standards?

Drug Dealer, really!....

TBH I always felt he had a bit of an agenda with that RS3 vs. M135i video.

I mean, I'm far from a lap time *****, but surely if the understeer was truly tragic, it wouldn't have managed a quicker time than the BMW?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
TBH I always felt he had a bit of an agenda with that RS3 vs. M135i video. I mean, I'm far from a lap time *****, but surely if the understeer was truly tragic, it wouldn't have managed a quicker time than the BMW?

I believe his point was you can go just a fast in the M135i for over 10k less. But it's not a like for like model. If the M135i was a proper M car, it would be 40k plus, so it then negates his point; even a well spec'd M135i is late 30k. Pass.

Audi have since moved to the PSS tyre and it's apparently significantly improved over the TOYO; not unsurprising.

Snotter's
I didnt say they wern't quick they just dont feel it, i actually like them a lot and what they are capable of.

Given im on the motor trade i have been lucky enough to spend time in both cars and the interiors are past it in the Audi (they havent moved on from my 57 s3 or done anything different).

And the two rs3's ive taken in as part exchange were from young lads who took finance and were in the "property" game. For some strange reason the finance was settled pretty much straight away!!!

In Leeds dd's love an s3 sportback/rs3

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I didnt say they wern't quick they just dont feel it, i actually like them a lot and what they are capable of.

Given im on the motor trade i have been lucky enough to spend time in both cars and the interiors are past it in the Audi (they havent moved on from my 57 s3 or done anything different).

And the two rs3's ive taken in as part exchange were from young lads who took finance and were in the "property" game. For some strange reason the finance was settled pretty much straight away!!!

In Leeds dd's love an s3 sportback/rs3

Leeds. Enough said.

Snotter's
Yes Leeds, we arent lucky enough to have the "Aberdeen effect" and have an economy based on oil and gas so we have to hussle. :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Lucky? To have the "Aberdeen effect"? Down here's that's the name of a disorder ;)

The nose got some better photos yet? I've just looked back at the OP and it's a stunning looking motor.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
It looks bloody blinding Ali, proper blinding. I'm proper jealous (not of the running costs mind you).

Rob, the running costs are no more than the Z4. Same on fuel providing you're not caning it! Service intervals are dependant on how it's driven...which is the only bit on uncertainty!

Worth a look if you're considering a move from the zed.