ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Earth lead for Amp

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

Does the earth lead for an amp have to be High Tension? And also, does it depend upon length? My desired location of my Amp, means that my supplied lead is not long enough. Ive noticed that the one i currently got is HT, do all earth leads have to be HT? Also do they have to be relatively short? Say 40cm max? Or can they be as long as i want? Thanks

Hon

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

Well i brought a new cable, its about half the size and about 1metre long. Is that ok or is it at risk? Please tell me cause i dont wana blow all my equipment up, cheerz!

Hon

are you saying the ground cable is half the gauge of the power cable?

If so I would change it for one that is as thick as your power cable.

Dave

Its for safety as much as protecting your equipment. Think what a fuse does - its lower current to blow safely if ever there is a short. If the earth cable is not capable of carrying a high current, it will become one very long fuse wire.

OK extreme example but it could happen.

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

ok, ill get a new earth lead, but is the length (1M) ok? Is it too long? Im re-doin my whole ICE on Monday for the meet on 3rd so ill need a new cable again. Thanks for the help

Hon

a good place to earth your amp or amps is 1 or 2 of the seat belt fixings points under your back seats and they are well close to the amps 2 birds with 1 stone

definetly same size or bigger. it doesnt just earth ya amp its also a dumping point for component interference to be got rid of out ya amp.