ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Easiest way to change coolant??

ClioSport 172 Cup
Seeing as Winter is approaching rapidly and my car is at 101k(think it last had its coolant change at 65k) I thought I would do a coolant change on it ready for the lovely British winter time. Has anyone any instructions on the correct way to empty the old coolant/flush it from the engine and refill with new? Also what should the mix be for winter coolant, is it just 50/50? At the moment the coolant in it is an orange colour I think, is that summer coolant??

Thanks

Sam:)

Last edited:
  ClioSport 172 Cup
Fred can probably clarify but the only way i can think of doing it is to pull the bottom rad hose(to drain). Then filling it up slowly using the coolant top up tank????

Taken from another thread. It really is simple to do.

- remove bottom rad hose and drain coolant
- remove t/stat and drain coolant. t/stat is on the engine-end of the top rad hose. the housing's held on by 3 bolts and you'll need a new rubber seal for the stat when you put it back in
- flush through the rad and the t/stat housing with a hose until both are running clear
- put it all back together. remove the bleed screw/bolt from the side of the t/stat housing
- slowly fill with new coolant until you're getting an uninterrupted flow from the aperture. replace bleed screw
- continue filling until exp. tank is maxed
- having just checked this out, the w/shop manual then tells you to start the engine (not before!) and run it at a fast idle (2.5k) for 4mins, topping up the tank as reqd.
- replace cap and run engine until fan cuts in (manual suggests 20mins at 2.5k - take it for a run around the block to help it out)
- top up as req'd once it's cooled down and check for leaks
- keep an eye on the temp gauge for a day or two, to be sure it's OK

Clio 172 Ph2
How are you supposed to get rid of the existing fluid? If it contains glycol you can't just pour it down the drain? How do the mechanics on here deal with it?

Can you take it to the local recycling centre like oil?

How are you supposed to get rid of the existing fluid? If it contains glycol you can't just pour it down the drain? How do the mechanics on here deal with it?

Can you take it to the local recycling centre like oil?

I was actually wondering this too. If your doing the coolant change take pics and make a guide mate would help me out ;)

ClioSport 172 Cup
As a follow on to this is there a recommended coolant for Winter time that Renault suggest??? and what is the correct mix of water and coolant?

Cheers