ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Effects of upgrading driveshafts on sport 172

cliosport 172
Hi there, this is my first post and I am sure it is a n easy one. I am thinking about upgrading my 172 with 182 cup hubs and drive shafts. The upgraded shafts look different. Does anyone know if this will have an adverse affect with my ABS?

lift number 1 @ btm
i think the effect will be to remove the abs? or is that just with 172 cups? i think the cups run unequal length driveshafts too, so if your car makes more power you will get more torque steer. (i think)

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I can't see there being any benefit.

In what whay do they look different? The shafts may be a slightly different length due to the differing track width.

Last edited:
  lift number 1 @ btm
i know on the 172 cup they are completely different lengths with different mounts at the gearbox end.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
i know on the 172 cup they are completely different lengths with different mounts at the gearbox end.
Is that in comparison to a FF 172? Renault developed totally different shafts for each?

But the gearbox is interchangeable other than the speedo sender.

lift number 1 @ btm
i don't know why, to do with the weight saving. i had a chat with dave at k-tec. and i remember him saying my ff would be a better base for a turbo conversion for this reason.

Ph1
Cup gets its wider track from the change of wheel offsets. Never had equal length driveshafts unless im missing something

Hi there, this is my first post and I am sure it is a n easy one. I am thinking about upgrading my 172 with 182 cup hubs and drive shafts. The upgraded shafts look different. Does anyone know if this will have an adverse affect with my ABS?
No point shock shafts are fine strenght wsie to use 182 ones you'd also need to change the hubs and the wishbones.

Stock is fine to use and easy.

hows that work, when the the gearbox is bolted to the right side of the engne? :S, one has to be longer than the other!!
The driver side has a point which hols the shaft to try and make them more equal ie the pasenger side shaft has a bit sticking out and held by the box.to keep it rigid.