ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eggy smell

I,ve noticed recently when i,ve been giving the car some stick there,s a rotten egg smell comeing from my exhaust(powerflow twin 4").

I think it,s something to do with the catalytic converter, but is it a sign of something going wrong with my engine(nothing done to it apart from pipercross replacment air filter).

I,ve never smelt it before from my car, your help would be appreciated.

almost definitely ur CAT ;-)

give it a wash and ull be fine.

Nah seriously, i get the same from mine when i give it some stick. I dont know if its anything to do with the cold air, but mine seems a lot more smelly the last week or so.

HTH

Dazz

PS, to make sure take it to a garage and ask them to check for leaks

take the car out for a LONG journey, this will burn off all the crap in the Cat, the reason for this is the cat has to get to a certain temp to work properly

Renault Laguna Coupe

The eggy smell is a gas called Hydrogen Sulphide. It is produced by your cat. Might be worth a trip to your dealer or an exhaust centre to check for leaks, as this really shouldnt be noticable under normal circumstances.

Its caused by running lean and then running rich..that transition turns sulphur trioxide into hydrogen sulphide. So basically youre running rich and the CAT is working harder. There could obviously be other problems with it..and without seeing you cant really pinpoint the problem so yeah, take the car to your dealer..

-Rob

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 29 October 2003

Its caused by running lean and then running rich..that transition turns sulphur trioxide into hydrogen sulphide. -Rob
For a 9.15am post thats bloody impressive Rob!

clio sport mk1 golf

oh here was me thinking the smell came from the chicken that powers you whhels by running really really fast!

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 29 October 2003

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 29 October 2003

Its caused by running lean and then running rich..that transition turns sulphur trioxide into hydrogen sulphide. -Rob
For a 9.15am post thats bloody impressive Rob!

I knew it was sulphur something..but google helped with trioxide :oops: