ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EK's

Driving one isn't going to change the bread-van aesthetics or the "scene crowd" thing?

It might give you an appreciation of the cars ability rather than a bunch of prejudiced assumptions based on opinion rather than fact. I'd have thought people on here would be a little less quick to write things off given they've normally been on the receiving end of "girls car" or "french pos" from clueless knobheads who have no idea how capable an RS is.

Charged Superleggera
henry your ek looks very clean man. should try to hold on to it if you can, as there arent alot of clean ones left.

Jap Shed
Ugh, don't mention the folks who reckon vtec is the best thing since sliced bread. Half my mate's are like that and it absolutely does my head in.

As it happens i was talking to the bloke who own's the chippy near me tonight. He had an S2000 and a Focus ST and he said the ST was a much better engine regard's usability. Said the S2000 had to be screamed to death to go anywhere, where as the ST had grunt in a lot more places and so was much better on the road. My dad said the same when he drove an S2000 - yet his mate tried to compare driving an S2000 to a motorbike... Said it's the closest thing you'll get without actually being on a bike. No, just no.

dont get me wrong, if I wanted a fast daily for NO track use I would have another 172, a 9 would be pointless as its quite harsh.
but as i do a lot of track stuff the 9 is a step up.

It might give you an appreciation of the cars ability rather than a bunch of prejudiced assumptions based on opinion rather than fact. I'd have thought people on here would be a little less quick to write things off given they've normally been on the receiving end of "girls car" or "french pos" from clueless knobheads who have no idea how capable an RS is.

I'm not really interested in other peoples opionions of the car I drive TBH. So it's irrelevant. In my opinion an RS Clio looks like a nice little car, not an old lookin takeaway car bringing me a Chinese with an exhaust you could loose a size 5 Mitre football up, braapping up the estate lol

I'll take the Clio tbh (girls like clios too ;) ) lol

I guess what it boils down to is it's one of those cars that will divide opinion. They're more raw/focused and visceral than a 1*2, you do need to work them harder and be more on the ball to get the best out of them but they reward with a real buzz of a drive epic levels of grip sharp turn in and that addictive scream of VTEC. I'd still say before you dismiss them or take the piss out of the local chavs in their 1.4 EK4's and EJ9's with bodykits and 4" fart cans go and actually drive an EK9 and then make an informed comment.

Jap Shed
I'm not really interested in other peoples opionions of the car I drive TBH. So it's irrelevant. In my opinion an RS Clio looks like a nice little car, not an old lookin takeaway car bringing me a Chinese with an exhaust you could loose a size 5 Mitre football up, braapping up the estate lol

I'll take the Clio tbh (girls like clios too ;) ) lol

its why i stripped mine!

I guess what it boils down to is it's one of those cars that will divide opinion. They're more raw/focused and visceral than a 1*2, you do need to work them harder and be more on the ball to get the best out of them but they reward with a real buzz of a drive epic levels of grip sharp turn in and that addictive scream of VTEC. I'd still say before you dismiss them or take the piss out of the local chavs in their 1.4 EK4's and EJ9's with bodykits and 4" fart cans go and actually drive an EK9 and then make an informed comment.

I hear you, youve summed it up exactly, they divide opinion, I just happen not to get the while Jap car thing, each to their own...

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Don't want to upset them all and tell them what cars you were quicker than in your 1.6 on the airfield day do you? ;)

Thats exactly the point Turkish. Thats all they ever say. "You just got did by a 1.6 blood!!!!" . . . . . the typical chavy comment. Or if something over takes them something like "Yeah well it's a 1.6 mate". Them not realising I just sat back in my Volvo T5, turned my dolby surround stereo playing Frank Sinatra's greatist hits up to 11, told my dog in the boot to hold on to his tennis ball and gave them a good facefull of 5cylinder turbo dust lmao
Like I say, not all are like that. There are some decent lads and gals out there that put some really nice ones together but they aren't rocket ships

S2000 + E91 330D
I hear you, youve summed it up exactly, they divide opinion, I just happen not to get the while Jap car thing, each to their own...

Indeed. You're never going to get a car which everyone likes. People love lazy 2.0 turbo engines, while others love crazy screaming engines.

Disastra Coupe
dont get me wrong, if I wanted a fast daily for NO track use I would have another 172, a 9 would be pointless as its quite harsh.
but as i do a lot of track stuff the 9 is a step up.

Oh yea, i've actually not driven one. Been in a few, but not personally driven. But from what i have experienced and from what i've read they seem like an engine which would be much more at home on a track than it would on the road.
Nor did i mean to sound like i was saying they're a bad engine or are s**t etc. But that's just my take on it, good track car... If you're having it as a daily though and want it to be good fun on the road, perhaps you can find a better car for that job.

The only thing that wind's me up with both the Dub and the Jap scene is how folks get into this whole 'my car is the best' attitude. If i go and meet my mate's i can guarantee all i'll be listening to is 'jap, jap, jap' in one ear and 'dub, dub, dub' in the other. I've only ever owned French car's, but i'd happily own something Jap, German, Italian etc. The only reason i've only owned French car's so far is that they're relatively cheap for the amount of fun you can have in them and they don't cost the earth to run.

In fairness the knobheads in the Honda scene here tend to own 1.4 EK4's and EJ9's like Matthew describes and are sat down the local retail park making a nuisance of themselves or own an EP3 Ctr which are worth f**k all now and like racing everyone on the local ring roads. Most EK9 owners are enthusiasts and while there will always be exceptions you don't tend to see them hanging around with that clique.

Charged Superleggera
End of the day the ek9 is not for everyone but isnt the golf more of a 'scene' car? Most of the slammed ek's you see with deep dish alloys and mad camber, arent real ek9's. Infact those cars get slatted on the ek9 forum for being unpractical. Function over forum always. i have nothing against that type of styling but i think its a shame to sacrifice a well balanced car for the purpose of aesthetics.

The type r engines were designed to rev to 9k rpm all day so its hardly thrashing them. if you can think of a 1.6 that even comes close to the abilities of an ek9 then, i would be interested to know what its is. Its not a rocket ship but its more than enough for a light, well set up car. also I would love to see a volvo keep up on track with an ek9.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Northampton must be different then Turkish. There are a few EK9's up to the chavy antics around here and to be fair they all look and sound like utter s**t boxes. Shame as I know what you mean when it comes to respectable enthusiasts.

Feel free to shoot me down here but wouldn't a sorted VTS also be a scream on track/thrashing on a B-road, and that's a 1.6 too?

Cammed, stripped mapped VTS would be a hoot!

Last edited:
  Disastra Coupe
The type r engines were designed to rev to 9k rpm all day so its hardly thrashing them. if you can think of a 1.6 that even comes close to the abilities of an ek9 then, i would be interested to know what its is. Its not a rocket ship but its more than enough for a light, well set up car. also I would love to see a volvo keep up on track with an ek9.

I didn't mean it was thrashing the engine in terms of abusing it. But like the chap in the chippy said, it annoyed him that he had to rev the tit's off it for half an hour (obviously not in literal terms) before a gear change to make it go anywhere.

Disastra Coupe
Feel free to shoot me down here but wouldn't a sorted VTS also be a scream on track/thrashing. B-road, and that's a 1.6 too?

Not saying it's in the same league but yes. I can guarantee anybody who took a VTS round a track or on a fun B-Road would love it as a driving experience. Build quality on the other hand... Lol.

Northampton must be different then Turkish. There are a few EK9's up to the chavy antics around here and to be fair they all look and sound like utter s**t boxes. Shame as I know what you mean when it comes to respectable enthusiasts.

There will be some for all cars sadly but as I say the number of EK9's that are owned by that type (if for no other reason than their number are far fewer and the cost is a premium compared to EP3's etc) is pretty small.

Feel free to shoot me down here but wouldn't a sorted VTS also be a scream on track/thrashing. B-road, and that's a 1.6 too?

"sorted" I presume you mean modded. We're not talking about the same thing are we. Out of the box the VTS isn't remotely as good a car.

S2000 + E91 330D
Shame as I know what you mean when it comes to respectable enthusiasts.

I would say most people who own ek9s are respectable enthusiasts. The only problem with ek9s is that people mistake them for ek4. Which are in the price range of the generic chav.

It's horses for courses - I guess it's the same as what's happening to the RS Clios, they are now cheap enough for the local 18 year olds to thrash around the retial park carpark, I can appreciate there are real enthusiasts out there, just seems round here they are all driven by scruffs. Although I may be mistaking them for the lesser models, I'm certainly no expert on these cars lol

Charged Superleggera
matthew- a saxo would be good fun too but not in the same league as an ek9. i have driven a fair few of them and personally i wouldn't buy one. they dont feel as sharp as ek9's and comparing stock with stock the 9 is superior in every aspect from interior, chassis, suspension to the gearbox and engine.

chippen- i know what you meat mate. it depends on how you like to drive really. The power is at the top of the rev band but if you can use the gears properly you can stay on that power band. it might not suite everyones driving style but personally i like having more revs to play with and i love the sound of a high reving engine. The reason why f1 cars and bikes sound so good.

Oldskoolbaby- Thats not a track and they are not ek9's anyway.

Disastra Coupe
It's horses for courses - I guess it's the same as what's happening to the RS Clios, they are now cheap enough for the local 18 year olds to thrash around the retial park carpark, I can appreciate there are real enthusiasts out there, just seems round here they are all driven by scruffs. Although I may be mistaking them for the lesser models, I'm certainly no expert on these cars lol

Also, what i'd like to add is, don't always assume a young lad is just a chav in a modded car trying to pull 14 year olds. I'm 23, look 12, but i am 23 haha. I felt a clown in my Saxo at times because i knew people would stereo-type me but i loved the car and it had well chosen mod's. Majority of them to make the car handle and perform better.

Now i'm in the Clio i don't feel so silly but i do sometimes wonder if people into their RS' see me and think 'great, it's ending up a young lad's car'... I'm just as much an enthusiast as anyone off here imo.

Matthew It's a fair assumption that ;)

Lets put it this way how many clio "sports" are there kicking about or even reps with the correct bumpers etc fitted that only a Renault enthusiast would know the difference between? In the case of the EK9 there are very few in the country because they weren't ever sold here by Honda. Plenty of EK4 and EJ9 reps kicking about owned by bellends.

Charged Superleggera
To be fair i think this debate stems from the fact that most people dont know what an ek9 actually is. If you have not been around hondas then it can be difficult to tell the difference between an ej9 or an ek3,,4 from an ek9. As said most of the chavs you see racing about cant afford to buy a good ek9 let alone insure one. so if you see a chav sitting in McDonalds car park reving the tits off his civic, then its most likely not an ek9. Most ek9 drivers tend to be older guys who are into tracking their car, rather than cruizing. Im nearly 22 and im one of the younger ek9 drivers on the ek9 forum.

I'm old so the insurance isn't an issue. Although quotes I was getting were higher than the 182 it was a negligible difference for a car 4 groups higher.