ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical Fault.. Valver!

Clio 1.8 16V
This Bloody car!!

Ok.. The problem started when my car was idling too high after going over 4k.. I was told that the speedo earth had gone high resistence and needed another earth wire.. After doing this, the problem wasn't solved so took the earth off.. I Then noticed (not sure if the new earth wire was the cause or not) that the outside temp gauge was off (but still backlit) and the wiper wash wasn't working (no water or wiper movement) but the intermittent wipers were still working.. Its only the forward back movent on the stalk thats not working!!? I have changed the stalk and checked all the connections and fuses... Whats going on!!? Anyone have any help??

Im stuck??

Cheers guys!

1996 Valver
  • The outside temp guage is probiably not working because of a loose wire, the connections are very poor and can brake easily...like this;
IMG_0551.gif

You are likely to have done this when messing around with the speedo earth cable, take the dials out again and look if all the wires are connected.

• I dont understand what you mean with the wipers.....do you mean the front's work and rear doesnt????????? either way it is likely to be the wash/wipe relay.......located in the fuse box in passenger footwell.

Clio 1.8 16V
OK... The connections are fine.. But I'll double check..

When i siad front rear.. I meant as in the stalk directions.... Pushing down.. Once, Twice and three times (for the wipe speeds) all works as normal... but when you pull it towards you to wash the windscreen, absoloutly nothing happens... When you push away from you, to activate the rear.. Then push further for the rear wash.. Nothing happens!!

1996 Valver
N the reason I think the connection is faulty, is because when the temp sensor fails (located on the underside of the passenger side wing mirror) it still displays a reading, but it will say -50 iirc.

Clio 1.8 16V
So if the washer pumps go... should the wipers move.. just with no water?? The wipers dont move at all either??

Is it normal for both to go at the same time?? And where are the pumps located??

Clio 1.8 16V
Ahh so when the connection is faulty it will display nothing.. Just backlight (which i very dim)

Cheers matey.. your a legend!

1996 Valver
MrP_16v said:
Once, Twice and three times (for the wipe speeds) all works as normal... but when you pull it towards you to wash the windscreen, absoloutly nothing happens...

Do the front wipers work?
does the rear wiper work?
Do the front washers work?
Does the rear washer work?

1996 Valver
MrP_16v said:
Ahh so when the connection is faulty it will display nothing.. Just backlight (which i very dim)

Cheers matey.. your a legend!

As you can see from my pic two of my wires are broken, all worked fine before i removed the dials and pulled a wire out by mistake.....my display now does what yours does, no numbers/display just a feint bit of backlight.

Clio 1.8 16V
Right... the front wipers... Do not work when you wash them.. No movement in wipers or no water.. They ONLY work under normal intermittent movement.. when you pull the stalk towards you, normally the wipers move fast with water jets squirting water.. This does not happen.. And the rear ones do not work at all!!

Clio 1.8 16V
This may be easier...

Do the front wipers work? YES
does the rear wiper work? NO
Do the front washers work? NO
Does the rear washer work? NO

1996 Valver
MrP_16v said:
Right... the front wipers... Do not work when you wash them.. No movement in wipers or no water.. They ONLY work under normal intermittent movement.. when you pull the stalk towards you, normally the wipers move fast with water jets squirting water.. This does not happen.. And the rear ones do not work at all!!

Sorry mate........It's been a long week, cant read/think straight!!!

TBH i'm not 100% sure if the wipers will activate if the pumps are gone.

The pumps are located in the wiper fluid tank, they just pull out/push a new one in (think Halfords sell them)

Also I still think the relays may be to blame.......get a mate to move the wiper stalk into the wash/wipe position while you put your ear next to the fuse box, you should hear the relay 'click' if it is working.

Clio 1.8 16V
Hmmm... You any idea which relay it is?? Under the glove box or near the battery under the bonnet?

1996 Valver
oh also, just thinking.......not sure if their are two pumps or just one, easy to tell tho, have a look at the tank, the pump is the black circular thing.

1996 Valver
under the glove box/passanger footwell.

There is normally a sticker on the bottom to show what does what.....if not look in a haynes (if you ent got one i will try n scan the page for you)

Clio 1.8 16V
I've got one... Cheers mate.. I really appreciate this.. I'm gonna go have a look right now.. I'll let you know how it goes!!

Clio 1.8 16V
Well... I cant find the Rear Wash Relay? Haynes says its behind the facia??? Cant find it? I found the Front relay.. But it does click? Its a Big Blue Thing!?

For the wires they are all mint? Im stumped now? Want me to take some pics?