ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical issues

ross_16v

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Hi folks, I was hoping someone on here might be able to help as I'm having some serious issues with my electrics/warning lights.... car is a Ph1 172 with RS tuner map

It started about 3 or 4 months ago when my head lights went out completely and a number of lights flashed up on the dash but when I turned the headlights off and on again at the stalk everything was good again. This happened another couple of times over the space of a month or two. Oh and the radio cut out at the same time.

Then the problem started getting worse as the headlights will now only work on dipped beam, although both the green and blue (dipped and full beam) lights come on. Along with this the radio will intermittently cut off and the lights on the radio panel will start pulsing slowly, along with the heater control lights etc. Also the serv, airbag, abs and handbrake lights would come on at the same time. I should also note that the car has a hid light kit fitted.

Now in the last few weeks its got even worse, the serv and abs lights are on all the time, and at the weekend the engine management light was also flickering when I started the car to move it out of the way. The radio was still going off intermittently (some times every few minutes and other just the odd time) and also the fan would sound like it was 'pulsing' along with the lights on the heaters controls and clock/radio display. If I turned the fan up and then off the radio comes back on! The airbag and handbrake lights also come on intermittently.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to give a full explanation of the symptoms. I've had a search about on here and checked all the fuses etc but was hoping for some advice - could it be the ECH? I checked the voltage and the alternator seems to be working fine, and the battery is also pretty new. The car also runs well and feels fine mechanically. Sometimes it seems like the radio cuts out more if I rev the engine harder.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, or is there anyone in the Aberdeenshire or Highlands areas who would be able to help out with diagnostics software for some beer tokens? or recommend a decent garage to give it a once over?

Cheers
Ross

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Check the earth conditions at the battery to chassis and loom to gearbox areas... sounds like something isn't great.

What voltage level was you seeing at idle and fast idle at the alternator?

ross_16v

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Thanks, I'll have a look at the earths at the weekend.

i was seeing about 14v at idle and higher revs, think this seems ok? Although I measured across battery, should I be measuring at the alternator itself?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Measure it at the alternator and if it's stable at 14.1-14.3v then this is fine but if it's around the 14.7 and above then this is getting toward an over voltage and possibly an issue.