ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical problem phase 1 172 help!

Titanium phase 1
Hi guys,hopin for advice or a solution....wen I first bought my phase 1 I noticed that the service light and airbag light came on together and then go away,this stopped for a while so thought nothing of it,now it's come back,loose connection somewhere maybe? Has anyone else had this problem with a phase 1?

Titanium phase 1
No mate they all standard, is it to do with the seat wiring then? After market seats and wheel will b fitted soon

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Chances are it'll be due to the wiring under the drivers or passnegers seat at fault but ideally diagnostics will confirm as it could be anything on anyone of the 13 trigger lines on that vehicle (Normally the seats or clock-ring though). The connections are in a poor area to get kicked or corroded up over time and what we tend to do to get around this happening again is simply remove the plugs from the equation and solder up and heat shrink the new connection.

Its a job you can do yourself providing you respect the SRS system and its ability to do YOU damage if you disrespect it. If you have access to diagnostic equipment you will need to "Lock" the systems firing mechanism before breaking and making any new connections. If you don't have access to anything that can do this for you disconnect the battery and walk away for 10 minutes and then carry on.

Mick

Titanium phase 1
Thanks mick I'll go down the soldering route,I take it all I need to do to b safe is disconnect the battery?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Chances are it'll be due to the wiring under the drivers or passnegers seat at fault but ideally diagnostics will confirm as it could be anything on anyone of the 13 trigger lines on that vehicle (Normally the seats or clock-ring though). The connections are in a poor area to get kicked or corroded up over time and what we tend to do to get around this happening again is simply remove the plugs from the equation and solder up and heat shrink the new connection.

Its a job you can do yourself providing you respect the SRS system and its ability to do YOU damage if you disrespect it. If you have access to diagnostic equipment you will need to "Lock" the systems firing mechanism before breaking and making any new connections. If you don't have access to anything that can do this for you disconnect the battery and walk away for 10 minutes and then carry on.

Mick

Seriously?? I've done about 10 of these and just cut/connect/solder without even worrying!

Cheers Mick, I'll be worrying a lot more in future. :S

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep, disrespect it and mess about with the connections whilst the system has power and you could set off the pre-tensioners or worse, dash/curtain bags which cost mega bucks to replace.

The entire system has a dedicated computer which actively monitors resistance values on multiple wires known as 'trigger lines'. If you put the resistance up on just one line and the computer recognises it as an impact then "boom" its done. Disconnecting and reconnecting causes sudden changes in these values and so increases the risk of false impacts being detected and if you've ever had a bag deploy on you its a scarey thing. SRS also activates even if the ignition is off in case you're hit whilst parked up so the safest way to work on the system is to put the computer that controls deployment in to 'safe' or 'locked' mode which inhibits the ability to deploy. Failing that, the next best thing is to just remove the battery.

Mick

172/1.2/E30
Personally i wouldn't solder the connection but replace the plug with some heatshrinked crimp connectors. Much tidier imo.