ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electronic LSD possible?

182 Cup
Has anyone read about the new Mini John Cooper Works (Evo 116, p26)? They say that it has DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) - a system that when turned off, is programmed to work like a limited-slip differential. BMW first showed the technology on the 135i and apparently Mercedes has something similar on the C63 AMG.

It says that it works by braking the faster spinning wheel and that in the Mini it will effectively be up to 50% locking.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that both the ABS and ESP systems on the RS Clios are manufactured by Bosch? If this is the case I noticed that a company called Whiteline (through Demon Tweaks) were selling an ECU piggy back unit that allows alterations to the parameters of the electronic stability program. Apparently there are two adjustments possible - bias and degree of intervention. Although the Clio isn't listed as a car it's available for, they do state that all of the cars they do list use the Bosch stability program.

If the above is true, surely it would be possible for a company with the right knowledge to program a similar ECU piggy back unit to operate in the same way as the new system in the Mini John Cooper Works? Opinions?

Renaultsport 220T
I thought about this too, having read about it in Evo.

Not sure about development costs though. Ker-ching!

182 Cup
Surely the development would be worth it though? The size of the market for cars with Bosch ESP systems must now be truely huge. The current Whiteline product is around £700 (expensive I agree), but when compared to a mechanical LSD there are several benefits - It could be transfered from one car to another, no major mechanical work to fit, it could be in-car adjustable and I would imagine the adjustment could be pretty much infinite?

This has got to be viable to develop!

182 Cup
Does a standard 182 have enough power to really need a LSD?

For track work I'd say yes. Particularly on the tighter tracks. Most people wouldn't even consider a traditional LSD on a standard car due to the cost and additional maintenance involved (on most types).

A standard 172/182 can easily put all of it's power down effectively in a straight line, it's when the wheels are turned (exiting corners) that it has problems.