ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electronics Question

Clio 1.4 16v
Could someone with a good knowledge of electronics please tell me what potentiometer or variable resistor value I would need to alter the voltage from 0v to 12V on a sliding scale

Polo + Micra
lol what is the input voltage?

and if you need anymore than about 50mA of current it aint going to work

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
What he said.

What you'll most likely want is a potentiometer & a darlington pair (or mosfet if you're into bigger currents), but without specifying your voltage & current requirements it's like asking how many fingers I'm holding up!

Clio 1.4 16v
sorry lads, its a computer power supply powering 3 fans, so 12 volts, I want a potentiometer so I can adjust the voltage to each fan seperately.

Don't say a fan controller, its for making a different project

Clio 1.4 16v
OK, how would you adjust them?? I would prefer somethin with either a slider knob or turn knob, they will need to be adjusted a lot and be fabricated through either a wood or abs plastic case

Clio 1.4 16v
Now I'm confused, I thought the potentiometer is the resistor, thats what I have been using tonight, however I think its the wrong value becase all the voltage adjustment is within about 40 degrees turn of the 250 degree turn

Polo + Micra
there are two types of pot logarithmic and linear

sounds like you got a logarithmic one

Clio 1.4 16v
probaly so, so clearly now, what exact things do I need to adjust from 12v to 0v volts that I can make look pretty on a box

Polo + Micra
if you look here

gives you a circuit for 1.2-25v(will only be 1.2-12v if thats the input voltage)

just order those bits and some heat sinks for the IC and a blank stripboard and you should be away

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Dink said:
if you look here

gives you a circuit for 1.2-25v(will only be 1.2-12v if thats the input voltage)

just order those bits and some heat sinks for the IC and a blank stripboard and you should be away

Yes that would work, but there are a couple of things to be aware of:

- You've still not told us the current consumption of the fans! It's impossible to give you a reasonable solution without knowing this!

- Linear regulators are s**t, they get very hot. You might end up needing some very big heatsinks (but we can't tell without knowing your current requirements!). We've just done a project at work that used a linear regulator to power a bulb, the product has a second configuration with a fancy ultraviolet bulb and that bulb consumes 1 amp, we required a very big (far too big - if the IC gets too hot it goes into thermal shutdown) heatsink to dissipate the heat, so we're having to design a daughter board with a switching regulator because they have much better efficiency.

You should see the size of the heatsinks we have on our 40A current generator :)