ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ENGIN SOUNDS LIKE ITS GONE BANG!

cup 182 cup
howdy chaps,
last thursday driving 20 mph or so in busy traffic and all the sudden BANG, WHACK, CLATTER. pulled over turned the baked bean off. popped the bonnet and turned it over again and it sounded like valve has met piston or summit, just really didnt sound nice. anyway got it back to my hotel and tried cranking it over again and its just running on 3 pots now but making no nasty mechanical sounds :S, ( looking into engine bay the first pot on the left isn't running). anyway a renault tech came out and had a quick look and said it could be the dephaser on the VVT which has went caput (insufficient oil oil), £1800 minimum excluding VAT. phoned another garage in the area and they quoted £2200.00 all in, including full new set of valves been the worst outcome.

priced a dephasor for £149.00 new and valve set equates to about £15 each. obv need gaskets and consumables also, all tensioners and pulleys changed 7k ago so i think they shouldnt need changing.

ANYONE QUOTE ANY PRICES OR ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND CAN MABY GIVE ME A LITTLE MORE INFO ON THE SITUATION BECAUSE THE GARAGES WERE RATHER BLAND ON TELLING ME?????

CHEERS

cup 182 cup
OH AND PLEASE DONT SAY SCRAP OR STRIP IT.... BECAUSE IM ALSO CONSIDERING GETTING AROUND 350 BHP OUTA IT IF ITS GONNA COST ME TOO MUCH TO FIX

Last edited:
  BMW M135i
Hasn't just blown a plug out has it? If it were a proper dephasher failure I wouldn't expect it to run at all.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
might have dropped a valve head. Usually stops the engine if it does that though. Sparkplug come loose or blown out is a serious possibility. Needs closer investigation

Unlucky mate, I know this sounds odd but have a look down the throttle body and if you can see any metal in the Plenum then its dropped a valve.