ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine blown On my Y-reg car!!!

Clio 197

Did they check the Cat? Ask them because a duff plug can cause the cat to become damaged from overheating as it burns up the unused fuel from the dead cylinder. If they replaced the plug, they might just replace a damaged cat but if you let it go too long youll be buying the next one.

Did you drive far with the light on?

Err, drove home when it first happened, then out to the garage, total distance maybe 30 miles. they didnt mention anything about replacing the cat, just said they replaced the plug. Cars due its first 24 month/18K service in a couple of weeks so Ill ask them to check the cat then. Cheers for the advice.

Quote: Originally posted by theICEman on 10 April 2003

Anyway, they didnt charge me anything, even though I thought the plugs werent covered under 2nd/3rd year dealer warranty as consumables??

They know its a problem and wont admit it.

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 10 April 2003

Anyway, they didnt charge me anything, even though I thought the plugs werent covered under 2nd/3rd year dealer warranty as consumables??

Rob, what do you mean? Have you had spark plugs going as well? Is it one of these should be a recall but would be too damn expensive so well just keep shtum and fix em on a case-by-case basis kind of situations?

This happened to my Y reg too! it turned out to be a problem with the engine management (computer), got it replaced on warranty, hope it dont go again cos they reckon it would cost me around 700 to 800 quid!

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 10 April 2003

Rob, what do you mean? Have you had spark plugs going as well? Is it one of these should be a recall but would be too damn expensive so well just keep shtum and fix em on a case-by-case basis kind of situations?

Youve essentially answered your own question. I think there seems to be a design or manufacturing fault of the plugs, there seems to be bad batches quite often. The mechanic at my dealership told me it was a usual problem. I will not be asking them to see if my cat will be ok as im not gonna get charged at my service for a new one!

Its amazing just how many running problems people are having with the Clio, I mean, my Astra works perfectly day in, day out, no problems at all, or any of the other ones at work. Yet the Clio, feck me is it badly made, used to want a 172, now looking at Scooby land (maybe start with a 2ltr Sport b4 the turbo-cheaper to run)