ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine building

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Depends how much higher the cr is I guess, if it was half a point higher and the engine wasn't beyond msb I could believe 10hp ish. However agree that 10hp can be found by moving the air temp probe.

Cool job, by robotic you mean the cars and dyno are being controlled?

I've always wanted to integrate a a flyby wire throttle with a dyno (im sure people do it) and create some mad AI mapping system - could calibrate an ecu 10x faster and more safely than mere mortal!

The dyno is set with road load data for the specific vehicle and the robots will then drive the vehicle according to whatever drive cycle we wish. The headwind fan matches the road speed and the coast down times and loads are set to match.
Means we can simulate 1000s of km through city cycles or anything in between.
Sounds fun, I assure you it isn’t 😂

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
The dyno is set with road load data for the specific vehicle and the robots will then drive the vehicle according to whatever drive cycle we wish. The headwind fan matches the road speed and the coast down times and loads are set to match.
Means we can simulate 1000s of km through city cycles or anything in between.
Sounds fun, I assure you it isn’t 😂

Haha, ok ok it might not be fun but it certainly sounds cool - bet the kit is impressive!

Do they also alter the downward force - that is add weight to the axles to coincide with road conditions/acceleration or is this more economy/emissions rather than reliability/stress testing?

Different field but I occasionally do testing at a company based at silverstone - they have a huge anechoic chamber with a dyno hidden under the floor, they do the EMC testing for various F1 teams and other cool stuff like military vehicles etc. Super cool setup. Very different to the aftermarket type dyno cell setups im used to.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Haha, ok ok it might not be fun but it certainly sounds cool - bet the kit is impressive!

Do they also alter the downward force - that is add weight to the axles to coincide with road conditions/acceleration or is this more economy/emissions rather than reliability/stress testing?

Different field but I occasionally do testing at a company based at silverstone - they have a huge anechoic chamber with a dyno hidden under the floor, they do the EMC testing for various F1 teams and other cool stuff like military vehicles etc. Super cool setup. Very different to the aftermarket type dyno cell setups im used to.
My cells don’t as theyre ambient and I do mostly emissions, soot load and oil dilution. We have 3 full climatic wind tunnels that do similar to what you’re asking, but I couldn’t run one of those. Would bore me even more than what I do. They’re one vehicle, one test. I’m running 8 vehicles all with different tests and requirements. Keeps me occupied or I get bored lol.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Ever had any really awesome failures?
Yep.

But more impressive ones in an engine cell. Some of which were:

A V8 TD throw 2 rods and carry on running on the other 6.
Most impressive gasoline failure was an I4 which let go at full rpm and ended up with 14 separate puncture holes in the block. Another favourite was an I3 which failed so severely across the rear of the block, the bellhousing mounts cracked completely away from cylinders 1 & 2. It couldn’t be mounted to an engine stand on the rear so we had to make a side mount to strip it for investigation. Only the crank held the engine together across its length below the head. Lol.