ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine cleaning

PH1 iceburg
I was so impressed with the cleaning power of autoglym machine and engine

cleaner in my wheelarches yesterday i think i will give the engine bay a go

What do i need to cover up and what should i use to cover it?

Dan

Tay

Titanium Clio 182
Id say any electrics, ECU, fuse box + switches etc.
Plastic bags & sticky tape get all blue peter on the bay !!!

Depends if you are just brushing it on then wipe off with rags or if you plan on introducing water to rinse or spray etc.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
I wouldnt bother covering stuff mate just use common sense.

Get your engine and machine cleaner and a brush. Spray a small section then clean it with the brush.
Get another spray bottle with water in it and use it wash the section you have just cleaned.
Do small sections at a time rather than soak the whole engine bay.
Once you have done it all and rinsed it, run the engine for a little bit to help with the drying.
After 10 mins ish, Wipe it all down with a clean microfibre cloth.
Then you can apply any dressings etc...

Dodgy one
IvE never covered anything up when doing the clio, what i would suggest though is after you have cleaned it is to pull the coils off the plugs and give them a douse of WD40, on both occasions ive done mine (using PW turned off i may add) Ive had problems with it misfiring and hesitating a few days after and this was the cause

106 GTi
I would do it a little at a time, using as little water as possible.

Spray a small amont of Autogylm degreaser on a chosen area, agiate with a soft brush for a few seconds to start it working, rinse of with a small amount of water or even better just a damp cloth, dry as best you can with a towel, move onto the next area. Doing a small area at a time saves getting the whole engine and parts you dont want to get wet.

Cover anything you dont fancy getting wet with plastic bags or cling film if your really worried, there is not anything I would worry about to much under the Clio bay, apart from avoiding the plug holes as long as you are careful with the water.

After dress plastics and hoses with something like Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber, polish the paintwork with Autoglym Super Resin and any shiny metalwork such some metal polish.