ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine conversion from a 1.2?

Im thinking at some point in doing an engine conversion but im unsure what conversions are possible, the only conversion im ruling out is a 2.0l as i wouldnt have the kind of money to run a 2.0l petrol atm.

So basically im just wondering, i really want to do an engine conversion and im just wondering what engines there are out there to make this conversion possible.

If anybody can help me with this id greatly appreciate it :)!

There is some good "which warm hatch" etc threads on here do a search.

Engine swap isn't really worth it.

There is some good "which warm hatch" etc threads on here do a search.

Engine swap isn't really worth it.

okayy well i'll have to have a look around, i dont know whether to keep my 1.2 till next year, with me only being in my second year of driving and only turning 19 next month, i'll probably find insuring cars hard

172 cup
It will probably be cheaper insuring a 172/182 than your 1.2 with an engine change. I just don't see why you would bother when they are so cheap to buy, just sell yours and get a 1.4/1.6 clio.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
You can't afford to run a 2l but you can afford to change your engine for something to do?

I think you should just save your money and wait to buy a better car.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
This tbh. But i'd actually not do a conversion at all.

For all the hassle, you could sell your 1.2 for a grand and buy a 172 for a grand :p
I agree it's less hassle and probably cheaper too. But I think it would quite a nice little project to do.

F4r'd Clio 1.2 16V
Depends on what way enclined you are, by this I mean would you get enjoyment out of doing a conversion or are you the type of person that bails out when things start going tits up ( which they WILL ) I personally carried out the conversion and I am glad that I did, but that's because I enjoy this sort of thing, I also think personally that I get more of a buzz from my car seeing as alot of blood sweat and tears went into it!

jack

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I get enjoyment out of mh car, knowing that ive made it the way it is etc so i understand what your saying.

But you'd have to be insane to do an engine conversion now. The 1*2s are so cheap, by the time you buy an engine and running gear, then the insurance for having an engine conversion.
You'd be saving money/time just selling up and buying a real 1*2!

Basically chucking money away.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
would be easier and cheaper to sale ur 1.2 and by a 1.6 or 2.0l and would get all the ertras like bigger brakes better interior ect and no hassle of re registering the converted car and a genuine 2.0l would be cheaper on insurance than a 1.2 converted to a 2.0l.
when you come to sale your car will also make it harder to sale with a 2.0l fitted.

engine,box,driveshafts suspension ecu loom exhaust ect £600+ then another £300+ on new cambelt kit,aux kit, service kit and consumables.