ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine dies on hard cornering but restarts immediately??

182 trackcar, XC60t6
I have a fully stripped 182 track car. Last track day the car would go into a sort of limp mode after cornering exceptionally hard. I could coast, key off and crash start immediately tho.

Some sort of electrical sensor loose wiring??? Thoughts?? Aim to scan tool it soon.

pic for interest. NZ based. :)

Attachments

• B406B352-B2C4-4970-B2DE-9DB80D0E0081.jpeg
    B406B352-B2C4-4970-B2DE-9DB80D0E0081.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 86
Fuel starvation maybe? My MR2 does it with anything less than a quarter of a tank on high G corners.

I also used to have a similar issue with my 182, but instead of cutting it would accelerate on sharp right hand bends, that was defo something electrical. Never got to the bottom of it.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I'd say something electrical.

Battery nice and tight? Earth strap on the gearbox?

Don't really get fuel starvation on Clio's unless you run them stupidly low on fuel.

SWL16

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
How much fuel in the tank/what sort of corners? There's a couple of corners (e.g. Church @thruxton) I've had fuel starvation on when down at ~ 1/3 tank.

182 trackcar, XC60t6
Fuel. Yes have had that problem and now I always run over 1/2 a tank. Long fast sweepers is the issue.

TheCAB

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172
Had this issue even with new uprated fuel pump fitted. Didn't think initially down to fuel starvation due to original layout of in tank fuel pump set up. Tried filling tank to over half full - no different. Was ok on short bends on track but long sweeping ones a different story, was stuttering which we eventually analysed as due to fuel starvation. If you kept your foot down it picked back up again on straight.

Fitted additional 2 litre swirl pot / pump combined with existing pump feeding into this. Also had to then fit a return feed and fuel pressure regulator as well but sorted out problem.

So can 100% guarantee that Clios can suffer from fuel starvation - dependant on running spec.

TheCAB

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172
Also with this new set up can run the car low on fuel without any adverse issues, due to the additional swirl pot storage.

Funnily enough never used to be an issue but only occurred earlier in the year when we put grippier tyres on car.

The mysteries of motorsport, G forces in particular.

182 trackcar, XC60t6
I’ve been out on track once and this seems to have shifted to a different issue. Cleaning all the electrical connectors in the engine bay fuse box helped, including’the white plug’.

Now I have a heat related issue (best guess for now). Car starts, runs, race pace ok for say 15min but then goes to a limp ish mode. I come in to the pits….Starter becomes sluggish to restart. Once it cools it’s back to normal.

Lack of heat shielding on the starter motor has been suggested…..

What else gets hot and enforces a semi shut down?? Ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk