ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine dismantle/rebuild

Clio Sport 182
I'm currently rebuilding my 182 engine or waiting for special tools to turn up at least!
I have a couple of quick questions!
1. When doing the aux belt do i need to remove the bumper etc or can i get away with less?
2. Do i need to remove the inlet manifold and water pump from the head to remove it from the block?
Thanks

Waterpump is on the bottom end so you are OK leaving that. Inlet manifold, cambelt, rocker cover, all have to come off to get to the head bolts, which in turn allow you to remove the head. You'l need the proper timing tools to get the rocker cover off too..

Clio Sport 182
Ok thanks ive got most of the tools but i'm just waiting for the last few.
By the inlet manifold i meant the bit bolted to the head rather than the plenum bit!
Does it all need to come off?
Cheers

Cro

Meg'd r27
What exactly are you meaning by a dismantle and rebuild? If its just aux belt you're doing then just getting the bumper off for more room is fine, sometimes the headlight for a bit more again

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Bumper and headlamp is easy peasy to take off, hope you have ordered renault tools?!?! Otherwise timing will be wrong and you will get verbally raped on here.

Clio Sport 182
What exactly are you meaning by a dismantle and rebuild? If its just aux belt you're doing then just getting the bumper off for more room is fine, sometimes the headlight for a bit more again

Well, my aux belt failed and went through the cambelt bending some valves.

Clio Sport 182
Bumper and headlamp is easy peasy to take off, hope you have ordered renault tools?!?! Otherwise timing will be wrong and you will get verbally raped on here.

Yes i've got renault tools, bar the horse shoe and the crank pin!
How exactly does the bumper and light come off/out?
Any help is gratefully received:)

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Even if you bought a second hand engine you would still really need to do cambelt so catch 22 really, bumper is.....

2x t20 screws on either arch liner
4x t20 screws under neath bumper
2x 10mm bolts on front under panel
1x 10mm either side bumper corner to wing
2x grill to slam panel plastic clips

Headlamp 3x 10mm bolts + plugs

172 cup
To be fair mate if you can't work out how to get the bumper off. I would not even bother starting it

ITB'd MK1
got to be bluntly honest, bumper removal is so blindingly simple, that if you have to ask how, then rebuilding the engine is probably more than you should be attempting

Clio Sport 182
Well i haven't attempted to take the bumper off yet!
Didn't know if grill, lights, bumper or arch liner come off first etc.
not a stupid question at all, Just trying to save maximum time.
Thankyou to those of you who are here to help!

Lionel Richie
bumper removal

bonnet up and remove 2 plactic clips, 1 on each orner of grill, disconnect alarm sensor if present
wheels off
2 plastic round bungs on each side
1 x T20 torx screw on arch
drop arch liners out the way (no need to remove)
1 x 10mm bolt each side where bumper meets arch
2 x 10mm bolt on under side of bumper

unplug fogs on passenger side (large connector)
un hook washer jets on passenger side, 2 tubes with 2 connectors

done

Clio Sport 182
Update ----I got the final tools on wednesday and started to dismantle tonight.

Well, i've got the head off and removed the 8 valves that were in the cylinders with no-compression.
I found that i have 4 bent inlet valves but exhaust valves are fine.
I put parafin in the head, in the other two cylinders just to confirm and the level hasn't changed at all.

I now need to find out part numbers for inlet valves, Head gasket, and oil seperator gasket! if anyone knows them that would be handy.
I also require someone to tell me the head torquing procedure and values etc, ( in the manual it shows the rocker cover with 24 bolts to tighten and a sequence but no head procedure!)
Another thing to ask is, what is the correct tension for the cam and aux belts, and finally do i need the stuff to roller onto the block before fitting the h/gasket?

Thanks for all your help guys
Really appreciate it.