ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine light!

Breaking 172 NV676
The little orange engine light has come on and stayed on.

It started on Monday when I drove the 40 odd miles to work and it was fine, got stuck in traffic, then the engine light started flashing and the car seemed to miss on one of the cylinders, sounding a bit like a scooby.

So I drove the car across town dumped the car at my bosses house and got a lift to the exhibition I was on my way too.

Now that I am back. I went to pick the car up, having thought it was a plugs/leads issue i pushed the leads to make sure they were home on the coil pack. Started it and it sounded a little rough. Then drove it across town to work and it drives ok now maybe a little sluggish but no strange noises. But the engine light is now permanently on.

Any ideas? Hoping to get it on a tech system tonight, just working out whether I risk driving it the 40 miles home or call the friendly AA man

Westy. MX5
Call out the AA man, He will give it a free scan so you will know the fault codes, then act on them.

Breaking 172 NV676
my friend owns a garage and he will scan it for me but just whether or not I fancy breaking down on the motorway.

Even managed to wangle a pass to leave work early doors to, maybe be able to get back, car fixed and in the pub for the game at this rate.

Breaking 172 NV676
Right more progress here,

We hooked the car up to the computer and it had mis-fire on cylinder 4. So we reset it all took it out and everything has been fine up until last night. Its probably done 100miles plus since being ill and just started the same problems. Spluttering, running on 3 cylinders and engine light flashing.

So today I ordered, new plugs, manecor leads and also ktec engine mounts and poly dogbone mount. The mounts should solve the exhaust knocking and with much luck the leads and plugs will solve the spluttering.

If not coilpack is the next thing to be replaced? or anyone have any other ideas.