ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Misfiring?

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
I've just sat in t'car after being at work all day, and when i started it up it was really juddery, even before i set off.
When driving home, it sounded like a combination of the engine misfiring, or exhaust blowing.
My exhaust is fine, no holes or weak parts.

It did it a couple of months ago, and i ended up needing a new coil pack so i'd have thought that can't be on its way out already...
After having the garage run diagnostics on it, it said it was misfiring, but the new coil pack sorted it.
Spark Plugs are relatively new (about 6 months) and are of decent quality.
So now i don't have much idea what it could be?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Could be if it was a cheap or second hand unit i'm afraid Drew. Did you check the leads and plugwells for signs of issues/fluid ingress?

Mick

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
Cheers Mick,
Nah, it was a brand new one from AutoSupplies near me. Cost about £50. Obviously wasn't a Renault one, but i'm guessing that's the culprit.
Exact same symptoms as last time i had the problem.
I'll have to have a look in the morning for issues/fluid though, cause it's too dark now.
Thanks.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Take it back with your receipt firmly in hand and demand another then - sometimes you can skimp and buy cheaper parts for these cars but ignition coils aren't one of them i'm afraid and they always come back to bite you in t'arse. Deffo check the plug wells aren't swimming in oil or water though first.

Mick

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
Checked the plug wells today and they're dry.
So i'm gonna get it exchanged tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.
If not them i'm clueless.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If the coilpack doesn't fix it mate pop her down and i'll kick its ass in to working for you... i'm off J25 of the M1 so not a million miles away from "The Field"

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Got mates from the area, the name just stuck... kinda like Doncatraz

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
Just changed coil pack and put new spark plugs in, and its still fucked.
It seems to be missing under low revs, or sound like its got a flat spot.
When i set off, or set off at a junction, it makes a grumbly noise and theres a distinct loss of power from what its normally like.

How much'd it be to bring it in and have its ass kicked?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
CLIP time is £35 per hour mate but I don't religously bill that way.

Mick

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
I went out in the car later, about 6pm and its working right as rain now...?
:S

I could do with coming down at some point though, cause there's other niggling annoying things that i'd rather an expert look at than joe bloggs.
Thanks for your help mate.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It sounds very much like a wiring issue then chap. If you decide you'd like to bring it in then drop me a line via my website as I can't always get on here in the daytime.