ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine mount advice.

Arctic 182 & PB 172
I know there are umpteen threads about this but I still feel that I have unanswered questions.

So, how many mounts are there? I really am not sure if I am getting any of the symptoms described? Car is an 05 on 49500 miles...

Should I just change the lower one to a powerflex dogbone? Please help?

Arctic 182 & PB 172
Nothing matey. Just seen a fair bit of advice saying probably time to change anyway...

Arctic 182 & PB 172
Wonder if it would be just worthwhile changing the lower mount to the powerflex one, and assuming the other two mounts are fine?

Theres the upper engine mount which you can see on the left of the engine, theres the upper gearbox mount which is below the battery, and the lower gearbox mount (dog bone).

Its worth power flexing the dogbone, stops knocking and takes away some slop in the gear change.

Upper gearbox mount is cheap, slightly fiddly to change but worth doing if you can.

Engine mount, I think is roughly around £65 mines on 75 k and still OK in the sense, might change it at some point though for a new one.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
There is also a mount under the gearbox, direct to the subframe. I don't think this plays a major roll but if youre changing them all then you may aswell.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Change the dogbone for Powerflex bushes first,
it's the cheapest one to do and even if there's nothing wrong with the car it's an improvement over standard.

Then at a later date you can replace the main engine mount and the upper gearbox mount
with either OEM parts from Renault, or K-Tec/Vibratechnics if you want to upgrade.

Those are all the engine and gearbox mounts, there's only three.

Edit : Jesus I took so long writing that lot the question got answered 5 minutes ago. lol

Arctic 182 & PB 172
Change the dogbone for Powerflex bushes first,
it's the cheapest one to do and even if there's nothing wrong with the car it's an improvement over standard.

Then at a later date you can replace the main engine mount and the upper gearbox mount
with either OEM parts from Renault, or K-Tec/Vibratechnics if you want to upgrade.

Those are all the engine and gearbox mounts, there's only three.

Edit : Jesus I took so long writing that lot the question got answered 5 minutes ago. lol

Still very appreciated man!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Would people change the dogbone mount to poweflex? I see there are some on ebay by a company called evol engineering who make their own, what are those like?

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Upgrading the mounts will however create more vibration in the car.

I tried the Evol dog bone mount, ended up taking it off and selling it on after a couple of week, because the added vibration was horrible. It was brilliant at full throttle and did improve gear changes, but for a road car in every day use it wasn't ideal, the car vibrated pretty bad at low revs.

Not tried any of the other mount, and probably won't now, going to stick to Renault mount for the extra comfort.

182FF
Upgrading the mounts will however create more vibration in the car.

I tried the Evol dog bone mount, ended up taking it off and selling it on after a couple of week, because the added vibration was horrible. It was brilliant at full throttle and did improve gear changes, but for a road car in every day use it wasn't ideal, the car vibrated pretty bad at low revs.

Not tried any of the other mount, and probably won't now, going to stick to Renault mount for the extra comfort.

This is what I'm experiencing now, had the dogbone from evil on for a month & I'm tired of the vibrating. Made things rattle I didn't think could. I'll be removing it some time on the next few weeks.

Arctic 182 & PB 172
Someone has made a good point on the clio sport owners club on FB. They have said that changing only one or two of the mounts puts strain on the worn mounts so better doing all or none!?

Arctic 182 & PB 172
Ahh f**k it!

Called k-tec and spoke to a wicked chap there whose advice was brilliant.

Getting the powerflex dogbone purple kit.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
That's what i've got, it shouldn't transfer too much stress to you engine mounts,
unless they're f*cked of course.

When you do come to change the engine and upper gearbox mount,
make sure you do them together.

Arctic 182 & PB 172
That's what i've got, it shouldn't transfer too much stress to you engine mounts,
unless they're f*cked of course.

When you do come to change the engine and upper gearbox mount,
make sure you do them together.

Thanks matey!

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Powerflex you can get off ebay or Euro Car parts,
Vibratechnics mounts you can get off ebay too, or from K-Tec with their logo on,
both similarly priced.

172 cup
Thought id post in here to save a new thread,

replaced my dogbone mount to evol one about 3 months ago, started getting a really bad knocking again any ideas if this is now engine and gearbox mount need replacing or my dogbone has shat itself again.

thanks

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
When you polybush one bit, it tends to transfer the stress to the next weakest part,
which in your case is the engine mounts.

Have you tried pushing on the engine to see how much play the mounts have?

172 cup
Thanks for the reply Dave

Yes there is movement in the engine so I think I will need to get them anyway, is it worth getting uprated ones for a daily bearing in mind I'm not to bothered about vibration just want a nicer drive?

Many.
Solid engine mounts can cause more vibration, I've been in both a car that shook like mad at idle, and another that felt like standard engine mounts.

New (ideally genuine) mounts will tighten it up nicely. Knocking is probs the exhaust hitting the subframe/ARB.

Many.
If you're not bothered about rattles or vibrations at idle, you'll be fine with solid mounts.

They are an improvement for sure. No engine movement has its upsides.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the reply Dave

Yes there is movement in the engine so I think I will need to get them anyway, is it worth getting uprated ones for a daily bearing in mind I'm not to bothered about vibration just want a nicer drive?

My solid engine mounts didn't increase vibration in my car and I fitted them myself.

But if you want to save a few quid and keep the standard feel,
then new oem mounts are the way to go.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
No probs mate. my track car came with it done and its brilliant. Cheap alternative to solid engine mounts