ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine noise, tapping?

Renault Sport clio 1
Have had a noise for a while now but has only recently got noisey!

Sounds like a diesel! :S

Do the tappets ever need adjusting on the 172 engines?

And is it a easy job to get done? ;)

Clio Sport 182
i think the tappets are hydraulic ones mate, they work with the oil, have a search on here someone did have a tappet problem but you have to remove the cams etc to change them so its a pretty big job !! also some people may say diffuser pulley as well, so whilst you have the belt and cams off it would be easier to change as well...

The dephaser pulley you mean! If your lucky it might just be a noisey hydraulic lifter.. big-ish job to change but wont cost to much. I had a similar noise but it turned out the cam journals were scored and it scraped the head.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Followers are a doddle of a job - common fault. Ive got loads in stock £10 each. Try a better grade of oil - thats usually the cause of the problem

Renault Sport clio 1
Done a oil change, using Mobil 1, 0w40 and its still there?

If I need the followers changing will I need a new cambelt fitting because of the belt coming off and being re-tensioned?

172 Cup
mate i get exactly tjhe same thing on mine, especially when its cold, when it idles it sounds like a diesel and makes a horrible like rattle tapping noise as i pull of between 2-3 k revs, but as u say higher revs it fine! Just wondering if you have worked out what the problem is on yours yet?

Renault Sport clio 1
I'm having it looked at tomo at Rentech, aparently it could be a few things?

Will let you know!

Renault Sport clio 1
Been to Rentech and told its the phaser pulley, booked to get done next saturday!

Fingers crossed!

clio 172 cup
how much will that cost need mine done got the same noise engine rocking but goes after 2k then drives tidy very lumpy on tick over

Renault Sport clio 1
Give Mike a call at Rentech! ;-)

I think its a about £300? Depends if you get a new or used phaser pulley?