ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Oil advice and advice in general.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
My clio has been off the road for 2 years as ive done work on the car and unfortunately i was in an accident which prevented me from progressing on the car.

Im back on it now and the Engine and gearbox are fitted in place.

The oil was brand new but obviously im going to drain this as its been standing and its probably absorbed moisture.

What Oil do people think is the best to use ?

Ive been looking at Silkolene Pro S as i use this in my Nissan 200sx turbo and have heard nothink buth good things.

Obviously its £50 for 5 litres , is the clio about 4 litres to fill ?

Do people think using this oil is overkill ? The car will be driven hard

Any other advice on things to do before starting the car with the engine not running for a couple of years.

Its has brand new cambelt kit , dephaser pulley , power steering pump , water pump and auxillary belt kit so everythink is new Genuine Renault parts

cheers

Mike

Lionel Richie
any decent brand name 5W40 fully syn (apart from castrol)

if its going to be driven HARD go to a 5/10W50

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Fred , its going to be mainly a track car so you reckon 50 would be better ?

May come see you when its up and running for a check up

Unless the oil temp is getting really hot (over 130C), then a quality 5w-40, like the Pro S, will be fine for track use.

Cheers

​Tim

Lionel Richie
should be fine with a good 5W40 as oilman says, if its doing LOADS of track days then go up 1 or 2 grades, the only possible down side to using a thick oil is you might lose a tiny bit of MPG (as in 1-2mpg) but on a dedicated track car its not really a concern!

Lionel Richie
the famous quote goes "it sounds like a skeleton having a w**k into a tin can" relating to castrol in Renault engines!

Also the guy who builds all the engines for R-sport UK says not to use it

thats all i can tell you!

the famous quote goes "it sounds like a skeleton having a w**k into a tin can" relating to castrol in Renault engines!

Also the guy who builds all the engines for R-sport UK says not to use it

thats all i can tell you!

Castrol are like pretty much all oil companies, they may good stuff (Edge), mid range (Magnatec) and basic (GTX), but I wouldn't say they are rubbish. The only real issues with them are that they don't really make any proper performance oils (other than the Edge 10w-60, but that's only suitable for a handful of cars) and they work out quite expensive. If there is a Clio under warranty, their Edge 5w-40 is approved for warranty use and it's a good oil, although not a real performance oil. Castrol's oils are aimed at meeting manufacturer specifications and requirements, rather than track use. Unless you need a Renault approved oil for a Clio, I'd tend to go towards something like the Fuchs Pro S, Millers CFS, Red Line, Gulf Competition or Motul 300V for a Clio.

Cheers

Tim