ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine oil... ? ? ?

Yep won't do any harm will probably leak soms oil sicne from cold its quite vischoius but that not a bad thing least the engines protected. I'd prefere to do that than use 10-40 and not have as much protection from cold.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Your better off with a good quality fully synthetic 5w-40 .0w-40 on an older car might be a bit thin and with an older worn engine can pass the piston rings or leak from the sump gasket tec ....

The 0w or 5w shows the viscosity from cold , the lower the number the thinner the oil is from cold .

Viscous actually means thick not thin ;)

MrBillyUK!

Skoda Fabia vRS
i use a 5W-40, a 0W-40 should be fine

if possible id probably try to go for a 5W next time over a 0W as from the figures ive seen there seems to be quite a difference in thickness between 5W and 0W, when comparing the difference between 5W and 10W aswell

The number at teh start has no beraring on teh thickness of the oil when warm, any *W40 oilo will be the same viscosity at 100 degs , the number infront simply represents its viscosity at room temp, ie how much protection you have from cold.

0W40 is a good choice in the winter

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I still say that a good fully synthetic 5w-40 is the best for an older car .I wouldn't go too thin cos you don't know the condition of the bores or piston rings . It take a good 10 - 15 mins to get the oil up to temp and thicken up .

MrBillyUK !

MRBILLYUK said:
I still say that a good fully synthetic 5w-40 is the best for an older car .I wouldn't go too thin cos you don't know the condition of the bores or piston rings . It take a good 10 - 15 mins to get the oil up to temp and thicken up .

MrBillyUK !

Not being rude but you don't know alot do you?

As i said above a 0W40 is the same thickness as a 5W40 at 100 deg, as oil looses viscosity(thins) as it heats up it stands to reason that the oil will be thicker then its cold, and so will not thicken up after 10-15 mins.

When its cold it will be thicker than when hot varying the first number will not make a differfence based on teh age of the car/condition of the engine, if you do loose alot of oil try a thicker oil liek a *W50

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Lunner said:
Not being rude but you don't know alot do you?

As i said above a 0W40 is the same thickness as a 5W40 at 100 deg, as oil looses viscosity(thins) as it heats up it stands to reason that the oil will be thicker then its cold, and so will not thicken up after 10-15 mins.

When its cold it will be thicker than when hot varying the first number will not make a differfence based on teh age of the car/condition of the engine, if you do loose alot of oil try a thicker oil liek a *W50

My sincere apologies Lunner !!
I'm as thick as fcuk :( lol .
Your right m8 , thins as it gets hotter , too much christmas drink has pickled my brain ;)

MrBillyUK !

Skoda Fabia vRS
Silkolene Pro S is indeed the dogs...

ive just got some Fuchs Titan Supersyn as i couldnt afford Pro S this time around

i checked out the base oil on the Shell stuff Lunner and it uses no better than stuff a lot cheaper, its overpriced for what your getting, though i am using it myself at the moment for top ups as i got a bottle @ trade

I can't see a problem with 0w-40 but some cars don't seem to like it.

We normally recommend 5w-40 synthetics because they are more thermally stable due to the narrower viscosity gap although basestock quality is important. 5w-40 also seems to be the general recommendation for these cars as well.

If the mods are causing excessive oil temperatures, above 120degC it may be adviseable to use an sae 50 (like 10w-50).

Cheers
Simon